Lolita (Vintage International)

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by namedujour of Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on 7/31/2005
Journal Entry 1 by namedujour from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005
Very disturbing account of a pedophile who marries a woman in order to gain access to her 12-year old daughter. While the writing and the book itself is excellent, the rationalizations of the narrator, Humbert Humbert, and his claims that his feelings toward Lolita are "love" made my skin crawl. If you have children, you need to read this. But like another journal entry says, NOT anywhere near a playground.

Journal Entry 2 by namedujour from Tulsa, Oklahoma USA on Monday, July 17, 2006
Shipped to pinklady60 on July 14 in trade for Falling Angels.

Journal Entry 3 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2006
I'm interested in Reading Lolita in Tehran, so thought I'd like to read this first. Thanks, namedujour, for agreeing to this trade.

Journal Entry 4 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, August 29, 2006
The compelling and controversial novel about an aging man's passion for a 12-year-old girl. Even though Humbert realizes (at times) how contemptible he is, I despised his character. Although I never did get past the disturbing topic of pedophilia, I must admit that the actual writing is brilliant. I was particularly fascinated with all the word games used by the author.

Released 12 yrs ago (8/30/2006 UTC) at media mail in By mail, Traded with another Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On its way to KansasKiwi as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 6 by KansasKiwi on Friday, September 01, 2006
Received today. Thank you, pinklady60, for the trade.

Journal Entry 7 by KansasKiwi on Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Wonderul writing! Sad story of a tortured man. I'm glad I read it.

Thanks so much for the trade, pinklady60. I'm going to keep this... for now.