In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed

by Carl Honore | Philosophy |
Registered by Triggerfish of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/30/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, July 30, 2005
Read by my partner, quote - started off well, good ideas but lost steam and I lost interest!

Journal Entry 2 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 13, 2005
Yes, a bit of sloth never did anyone ever harm, that's what I say. Interesting to see if I have the same reaction as the previous reader.

Journal Entry 3 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 10, 2005
I read very little non-fiction, and those books I do are usually from other bookcrossers. This was actually a very enjoyable read. I think this was helped by the fact that the writer is completely NOT a new age hippie type. Think that helped me relate to him. Lots of good ideas in this book. I think I'll offer it as a ray. I'm now off for a big sleep!

Journal Entry 4 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 12, 2005
Going out on a ray. Names so far below

nice-cup-of-tea
LauraKateKnits
laura0141
squirk
harranne

Journal Entry 5 by bookfrogster at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (9/14/2005 UTC) at West Maitland Street Post Office in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way to nice-cup-of-tea as first on the ray. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, September 19, 2005
Just received this in the post today - thanks to bookfrogster for posting (& for the funny sheep postcard) and for organising the bookring - and more importantly for putting me first on the list - this normally never happens! I am looking forward immensely to reading this and to slowing down and enjoying a nice-cup-of-tea :-)

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, September 30, 2005
I'm actually in the process of re-reading this book, as I felt I should do it justice and read a bit more slowly than I usually do! I was particularly struck by the chapter on leisure and in particular on reading. Honore tells the story of Dale Burnett, an American professor of education, who has come up with the hi-tech version of 'slow reading'. He keeps a web diary. "After each reading session, he uploads memorable quotes and insights, basic details about the plot and characters and any reflections inspired by the text." Does this remind us of anything?? :-)

My favourite bits / quotes
3 "We are moving from a world in which the big eat the small to one in whcih the fast eat the slow" Klaus Schwab, founder & president of the World Economic Forum

7 "It is no coincidence that the fastest nations are also often the fattest. Up to a third of Americans and a fifth of Britons are now clinically obese."

14 "Fast is busy, controlling, aggressive, hurried, analytical, stressed, superficial, impatient, active, quantity-over-quality. Slow is the opposite: calm, careful, receptive, still, intuitive, unhurried, patient, reflective, quality-over-quantity."

25 "The clock is the operating system of modern captialism, the thing that makes everything possible - meetings, deadlines, contracts, manufacturing processes, schedules, transport, working shifts."

49 "When people moan "Oh I'm so busy, I'm run off my feet, my life is a blur, I haven't got time for anything" what they often mean is, "Look at me: I am hugely important, exciting and energetic"

71 "There is something in the nature of cooking and eating together that forms a bond between people. It is not accident that the word "companion" is derived from Latin words meaning "with bread". A relaxing, convivial meal has a calming, even civilizing, effect, smoothing away the smash-and-grab haste of modern life."

122 "Let the mind be quiet and still. As one Zen master put it, "Instead of saying 'Don't just sit there; do something' we should say the opposite, 'Don't just do something: sit there."

189 "Why are so many of us still working so hard? One reason is money. Everyone needs to earn a living, but the endless hunger for consumer goods means that we need more and more cash. So instead of taking productivity goods in the form of extra time off, we take them in higher incomes."

217 "It is in his pleasure that a man really lives, it is from his leisure that he constructs the true fabric of self" Agnes Repplier, American essayist

nice-cup-of-tea's go slow techiques
* Read in German, this definitely slows me down, plus I have time to look up and learn new vocabulary
* Our TV is still away being repaired, so we're eating together at the table and having more time to talk and /or listen to the radio
* I am able to walk in and out of Zurich, up the mountain, down to the lake
* I want to start doing my pilates / physio exercises more regularly
* I'm taking time each day to write my thoughts and plans in my journal, this relaxes and inspires me

Journal Entry 8 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, October 10, 2005
posted to laurakateknits 10 Oct B Post

Journal Entry 9 by Mamooo from -- Somewhere in Hertfordshire , Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 13, 2005
I'm really sorry this has taken me so long to journal. I've been getting married and away on my honeymoon! The honeymoon was a delightfully slow affair. It's a shame the same can't be said for the wedding. The best day of my life, and over so quickly!
Anyway, looking forward to reading this now, having heard Carl Honore talk about it on the radio a few months back. I think it's just the kind of thing i need to read right now.
Thanks Helen for the tea bag. I love getting parcels from you! ;) x

The picture is of me buying lunch from St Joseph's Market in Barcelona. The organic stall was yummy!

Journal Entry 10 by Mamooo from -- Somewhere in Hertfordshire , Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 16, 2006
Been trying to access the site to journal the book for ages but (fingers crossed) here's my JE.

It took me a long time to read this book, as i did devour it slowly. It was hard to read a lot at once so i dipped in and out, reading a few pages to a chapter at a time.
I whole heartedly agree with the principles in this book. I would love to have more time, to be able to switch off from work, and to be able to live in a place where i felt slow values were appreciated.
I am now very interested in visiting Ludlow, the first UK slow city, to find out what the differences are to other small towns in the UK. This book really made me think about where i was going and what i was spending my time on. It has also helped me to think about some major changes i hope to be making to my life in the next year.

Will send on to Laura0141 as soon as i get her address.

Journal Entry 11 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 06, 2006
Received with thanks - sorry about the delay. I've actually boobed with this one as I read another copy while on holiday so I'll PM squirk for their addy now.

Journal Entry 12 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, March 23, 2006
On way to squirk

Journal Entry 13 by squirk from West Norwood, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, March 30, 2006
Received safe and well, and I'm very much looking forward to reading it.

Cheers!

Journal Entry 14 by squirk from West Norwood, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2006
This was a really good and interesting read. And I've re-evaluated a few things, such as thinking twice before launching into an email reply. Certainly the world is getting faster and attention spans have become shorter. Yay for slowness.

My BF was very skeptical, as he said 'Yes, Slow sounds like a good idea, but how on earth are our employers ever going to give us a 4-day week?!' Not likely, but hey, ho.

Off to Harranne 17/5/06

Journal Entry 15 by harranne on Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Received the book a couple of days ago. It is on the top of my TBR pile and I am looking forward to reading it. Hopefully at the end I will have learnt how to slow down!