Love, Rosie

by Cecelia Ahern | Women's Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Soraidh of St. Louis, Missouri USA on 4/3/2006
Journal Entry 1 by Soraidh from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, April 03, 2006
I have to admit I went into this book skeptical. The author, Cecelia Ahern, is the 24 year-old daughter of Ireland’s prime minister. Once I read that my BS meter went into hyperdrive since my first thought was they included that bit of information to sell books, something I think should be done on the book’s actual merit rather than the name connected to it. But if I keep going on in this vein I’m going to end up ranting about authors like Cornwell and Rice and I’ll never got anything accomplished, so... moving on.

Skeptical I may have been going in but by the end of the first couple of pages I was hooked. The story of Rosie and Alex is something of a universal one, with a twist. What happens when your best friend growing up isn’t the girl next door but the boy? Rosie and Alex have been best friends since they were in the single digits; they’ve endured high school and moves across continents, unexpected pregnancies and not-so-wonderful spouses and through it all they’ve kept in touch and kept each other sane.

Sure, it’s a touch predictable. You’re pretty sure that you know what’s going to be the eventual conclusion by the first part of the book but it’s the getting there that makes the story in this case. With false starts and miscommunication it takes a while for the ending to actually arrive. I enjoyed the waiting and the learning. For me, I could see the story happening; in this world of technology and email and IMs it isn’t so far fetched that our lives would be documented by the things we write. After all, I’m writing about this book in a weblog of books that I’ve read and you’re reading about it through the same medium. I keep track of my friends though their livejournals and their emails, we share our lives with each other through text more often than anything else it seems.

I’d have to say that for a first book (I’ve read) from this author it was a good showing. I’ll pick up another of her novels when I see them and give them a try. I just wonder how she is at writing prose rather than emails.

Journal Entry 2 by Soraidh from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Monday, April 03, 2006
Rosie and Alex are destined for each other and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, they separate as teenagers when Alex and his family relocate from Dublin to Boston. Like two ships always passing in the night, Rosie and Alex stay friends, and though years pass and weddings, funerals, and baptisms take place, the two remain firmly attached via e-mails and letters. Heartbroken, they learn to live without each other. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel of severl missed opportunities, Rosie and Alex learn that fate isn't done with them quite yet.

Sent along with friend from work. It'll be available once it returns to me.