The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

by Robert Rankin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BrooklinBrat of Brooklin, Ontario Canada on 7/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, July 29, 2005
From the cover:

"Once upon a time Jack set out to seek his fortune in the big city -- but when Jack finally gets there, it is Toy City, formerly known as Toy Town. And there is a serial killer loose upon the streets.

One by one, the old, rich nursery rhyme characters are being brutally slaughtered. The Toy City police are getting nowhere; Bill Winkie, Private Eye, has also mysteriously vanished, leaving only his sidekick, Eddie Bear, to take care of business.

But Eddie's ready, and when he teams up with Jack, the two set out on an epic adventure. Not to mention a lot of heavy drinking, bad behaviour, bizarre toy fetishism and all-round grossness. Of a type not normally associated with Toy Town."

~ MrBrat has graciously agreed to let me register this, specifically because when I brought it up in Book Talk in the "Books with Awful Titles" thread, a couple of people seemed interested in it.

If I get enough people interested, I'll start a ring. I'd send it off as a RABCK, but with a title like this I DO want to read it! (And I'm in the middle of a couple of things right now and don't have time...)

Journal Entry 2 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, July 29, 2005
List of participants:

wyldewomin...MA, US - no shipping prefs
saram23...MA, US - US only
NomiJo...NY, US - no shipping prefs
garnetfairy...TX, US - US only (Got a copy from the library)
pammykn...FL, US - no shipping prefs
luintaurien...NE, US - US only
jherusalem...VA, US - no shipping prefs
simmer...UK - no shipping prefs (Asked to be skipped)
MaryZee...MD, US - US only
MollyGrue...WA, US - US only (Asked to be skipped)
CheriePie...MA, US - no shipping prefs <-- It's here 8/10/06
ldpaulson...CA, US - US only
craftycomrade...WI, US - no shipping prefs
... and back to me!

Journal Entry 3 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 06, 2005
I couldn't stand to send off a book I hadn't read - I'm far too nosy for that. I'm glad I read it too. This fantasy/fairy tale/mystery was as fun as. Here's hoping you all agree.

It's off in the mail today to wyldewomin, first in the bookring.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wyldewomin from East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 16, 2005
Arrived today from Canada. Realized I miss getting mail through CanadaPost - makes me feel like I learned something in my 7 years of French class .. lol
Great bookmark!

Journal Entry 5 by wyldewomin from East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 19, 2005
Took a bit to get into it but once I did, it was a page turner. If nothing else, Eddie the Bear made it worth the read. Thanks Brooklin!

Popping it in the mail tomorrow morning for saram23.

Journal Entry 6 by saram23 from Lowell, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2005
It's Here! I have a library book to finish and then I will begin this one.

Journal Entry 7 by NomiJo from Scarsdale, New York USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2005
received from saram23 in the mail today. I am so excited!

I have just begun it and I have a good feeling about this book.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by NomiJo from Scarsdale, New York USA on Thursday, October 06, 2005
Thank you very much, BrooklinBrat. It was great fun to be included in this bookring. But I am afraid that I am rather disappointed in this book, I must say. I think perhaps that the title was just too much for the story to live up to. Perhaps the most frustrating thing for me with this book was that I don't like authors who with-hold vital information. And the character of Jack definitely doesn't hold up under any kind of scrutiny. And the narration was very stylized, which is okay, it just made it take longer to read, the chapters were like very sugary bonbons and I could only manage one at a time...

Still I will say this for it, I am not sorry that I spent the time to read this book, only sorry that it didn't live up to my expectations.

Pammykn, I will be pming you shortly.

Journal Entry 9 by pammykn from Decatur, Alabama USA on Friday, October 14, 2005
Thanks -- have a book or two to finish up -- look forward to reading!

Journal Entry 10 by pammykn from Decatur, Alabama USA on Sunday, October 30, 2005
Fun read -- thanks for sharing. I was a little hesitant didn't think I'd be to keen on the toys as charachters but it worked. Will be sending of to luintaurien.

Journal Entry 11 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Saturday, November 05, 2005
Got it today. Thank you Will read and pass on ASAP.

Journal Entry 12 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Thursday, January 26, 2006
I am about half through this book. Will hurry to finish and pass on.

Journal Entry 13 by Luintaurien at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (2/8/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 14 by jherusalem from Richmond, Virginia USA on Friday, April 28, 2006
I got this a while back and forgot to journal. It's next on my TBR list. Can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 15 by jherusalem from Richmond, Virginia USA on Monday, May 22, 2006
I thought I had already registered this, but found out I hadn't when I went to journal after reading it. What a cute book! I really like the way Rankin thinks, and would be interested in reading other things by him.

Journal Entry 16 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 26, 2006
Just received this today. I have one other bookring ahead of it (a quick read), so I should be able to get to this one in about a week.

I picked up a copy of Rankin's Web Site Story (which of course is still on Mt. TBR), so when this bookray was offered I was interested to try another book from him too.

7/30/06 update - Ready to start this later today.

Journal Entry 17 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, August 04, 2006
Ridiculous characters, ridiculous plot, what a fun story! It really was unputdownable. I really enjoyed this book! And the parable aspect really wrapped the story up nicely, too.

This is the first of Rankin's books that I've read - I have a copy of Web Site Story here, and will have to try to read this soon.

MollyGrue has a note on her shelf asking to be skipped, so I have CheriePie's address. Mailed out to her Monday, 8/7. Thanks for sharing this BrooklinBrat!

Journal Entry 18 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Thursday, August 10, 2006
This arrived here today. Thanks, I've been looking forward to it. I've got a few ring/ray books here ahead of it as I've fell a bit behind what with summer and vacationing and all that fun stuff, but I should have no problem to start on it within the next few weeks. (I do have an RABCK of this book supposedly coming from Australia too, though I don't know when that'll actually arrive, so I figured I'd grab at this "sure thing" as it was passing by. I'm always in need of AVL's for swaps and such anyway so it's all good. :D )

Journal Entry 19 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Thursday, September 07, 2006
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this book going in, as this is the first I've read by this author. Rankin's satirical style reminded me a bit of Christopher Moore or Terry Pratchett. The story, started off a bit slow for the first few chapters, but then immediately drew me in beyond that.

Jack and Eddie Bear set out to solve the mystery of who's killing off the famous nursery rhyme characters one by one. Humpty Dumpty, made famous by his fall from the wall (which many in Toy City actually thought was an attempted suicide), was the first victim, followed by Little Boy Blue, and others.

The writing is very stylized, the humour of a British nature, and though I found it quite hilarious, having to read certain parts out loud to DH, I can see how it would put some people off for the silliness of it all. Not me though! I immediately went and added The Toyminator, which is more of Eddie Bear's story, to my wishlist. :)

I've PMed ldpaulson to confirm she still wants to receive this and will get it in the mail shortly.

UPDATE 12-SEP-2006: Mailed to ldpaulson on 13-Sep-2006 via Media Mail.

Journal Entry 20 by ldpaulson from Ventura, California USA on Sunday, September 24, 2006
This book (and a huge stack of others) arrived in my postal box the week of September 17. I promise to do my best to read these all as soon as humanly possible. Please understand that this may not be as soon as any of us likes. I am having a second round of dental surgery and a huge life transition begins the week following.

Reading will be a most welcome diversion when I am able to have a bit of uninterrupted time to myself.

I appreciate this book and can’t wait to read it! I've been waiting so long ... sooo tempting!

Journal Entry 21 by ldpaulson from Ventura, California USA on Sunday, November 12, 2006
This book did not hold up to the hype from various and sundry readers. It simple was not as good as.

I am in complete agreement with NomiJo and others who found this derivative. Why bother reading something second-rate when Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde have done witty British scifi that cannot be equalled?

Still, I'm happy to have had the opportunity to read what all the fuss was about.

It's on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by ldpaulson from Ventura, California USA on Saturday, December 23, 2006
With no response from the next reader, BUNNIES is headed home. Sort of. I mean, it's being mailed to Canada, not to Toy City. :P

Journal Entry 23 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 23, 2007
The Bunnies hopped home safe and sound, and just in time for Easter!!!

Thanks to all who participated!!