Can I Come Down Now, Dad?

by John Hegley | Poetry |
Registered by Korky of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 7/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Humourous poetry from that man fom Luton.

Journal Entry 2 by Korky at post in BCUK sweepstake winner, BCUK sweepstake -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 10, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (9/10/2005 UTC) at post in BCUK sweepstake winner, BCUK sweepstake -- Controlled Releases

congratulations BCUK sweepstake winner / runner up.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrahar109wing from Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 14, 2005
received in the post today, thank you!

Released 12 yrs ago (6/30/2007 UTC) at BCUK Unconvention 2007 in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

Going on the book table.

ETA: I see I forgot to journal this when I read it - sorry! Amusing poems!

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2007
I picked this up very late from the UnConvention 'table of temptation'...and i'm glad I did, a little gem. I've giggled my way through half of it already, and i'll try and savour the rest before passing on :)

Journal Entry 6 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 03, 2007
From a proud tradition of British comedy verse, Hegley says it like it is, as it should be, and often complete irreverent nonsense! Not overly bothered with rhyme or metre, there are a few poems that I’m sure are better spoken, but still a very funny collection, as the blurb says, ‘…about Luton and string, dogs and logs, trains and Roman remains.’

A couple of favourites; one line from In the name of the Lord and the image on the cover, ‘[Jesus] hippy aeroplane impressionist’.

And the beginning of the book, a poem about the town of my upbringing and the conflict between my working-class origins and the middle-class status conferred upon me by a university education;

"I remember Luton
as I’m swallowing my crout’n"

Journal Entry 7 by 666Izzy from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, July 15, 2007
I have read one of John Hegley's other books (can't now remember the title, and I gave it away) so I was pleased to spot this on the table at the Ipswich meeting. I'm happy to report, it's lived up to my expectations, with humour, wit and irreverence all in one slim volume!

Journal Entry 8 by 666Izzy at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, August 13, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (7/15/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Journal Entry 9 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Picked up from the shelf at last Saturday''s Ipswich meeting. I remember Hegley doing stand-up and miner''s benefits in the 1980s.

Journal Entry 10 by MrsDanvers from Aldeburgh, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, October 14, 2007
These read best if you can conjure up John Hegley's flat tones whilst reading them. There's more thoughtful material here than his stand-up days suggested.

There's much to enjoy: I liked "Forever Roman" - on viewing Hadrian's Wall and a typical Hegley:

before the blast of the squad
his last request
was a bullet-proof vest
or a God

Released 12 yrs ago (11/10/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Back to where I found it. To be released on the OBCZ shelf.

Journal Entry 12 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 10, 2007
Caught at the Ipswich Meet today. I noticed that page 78 has a poem entitled "Bury St Edmunds" - I haven't managed to read it yet but it's the town of my birth and it'll be the first I read once I've finished my journalling this evening.

Journal Entry 13 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 24, 2008
I think that John Hegley's poems are best served when read out loud by the man himself. Because you don't get the rhythms when you're reading them. But having said that, I did enjoy them. He had a definitely Romans phase in the middle there but of course the one that stood out the most was Bury St Edmunds, because I could see him on the swings in the Abbey Gardens as I've been there myself, so many times. I'm like that with Edmund Blunden's later poems as well, the ones he wrote in my village.

Anyway, thanks to Korky for registering this one, and MrsDanvers for passing it on. It will probably surface at the April Ipswich Meet, in a couple of weeks!!

Journal Entry 14 by smallbluepebble from Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 13, 2008
I couldn't resist taking this one from the table, even though I had promised myself not to bring any more books home with me. It's only little. And it's John Hegley, for goodness sake.

Now, how do I justify the other eight books which came home to Essex with me?!

Journal Entry 15 by smallbluepebble from Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 13, 2008
I've just noticed... this humble little tome has been a sweepstake prize, visited an Unconvention in Brighton and attended four separate get-togethers at the Caffe Nero in Ipswich. What a sociable book!

Journal Entry 16 by smallbluepebble from Ilford, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 18, 2008
A very mixed bundle of poems... some sublime, some too nonsensical for my tastes. I laughed out loud at the one about the little girl who filled in and posted a request for a hearing aid. My brother, a budding electronics geek, did exactly the same thing (thinking he would be sent his "free working model.") My red-faced mum had to explain to the salesman on the doorstep that her schoolboy son had perfect hearing!

I'm releasing this book at the Bookcrossing Convention in London. Who knows where it might turn up next...

Journal Entry 17 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 20, 2008
Caught at the London Bookcrossing Convention!

Journal Entry 18 by Triggerfish from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
I didn't find this as amusing as I expected. Enjoyed a few of the poems, but some were too silly for me.

Journal Entry 19 by Triggerfish at Pleasance Courtyard in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/12/2008 UTC) at Pleasance Courtyard in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Will leave it in or near Pleasance Grand, where I am going to see Just a Minute being recorded. I hope a member of the audience will find this book!