MISSING MOM

by Joyce Carol Oates | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 006081621x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Ri of Cincinnati, Ohio USA on 7/25/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, July 25, 2005
I received this Advanced Reader Copy from ELLE Magazine. I am reviewing it for their Readers' Jury for the November issue.

Journal Entry 2 by Ri from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Monday, August 15, 2005
I really enjoyed Missing Mom. It is the story of the transition time
between being the age of a grown-up and actually feeling like one.
Part of that process involves learning who your parents are as real
people, not just "Mom and Dad." Nikki's journey to recover from her
mother's tragic death ultimately leads her to find out who she really
is.

Journal Entry 3 by Ri at Word on the Street, Queen's Park in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 22, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (9/25/2005 UTC) at Word on the Street, Queen's Park in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Congratulations on finding this very special book! If you are new to Bookcrossing, welcome! If you are already a bookcrosser and hunted down this book, thanks!

I hope you can find a a few moments to journal that you have found this book. Feel free to do what you like with this book - read it, pass it along to a friend, release it back into the wild, add it to your permanent collection...

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 25, 2005
Guess who caught your book Ri!?!? I did!!!!
My mom and I started down the Word on the Street festival from the Museum subway stop and I saw your Struck by Lightning book in the bus shelter! I thought, Ri's been here! So we were continuing down the street, looking at all the tents, and we came to the north end of Queen's Park, and I saw a book lying on the steps of the monument there. I ran up to it (or walked very quickly) and grabbed it. Sure enough, it was also from you! I haven't read this one and it looks interesting so I nabbed it! Then we put a book we had brought along to release in its place. After we had made the rounds and looked at all the tents, and we were back at the North end of Queen's Park, we noticed that the book we had left there in the place of this one was also gone!
I feel kind of bad because this book could have potentially brought a new Bookcrossing member to us, but at the same time, I couldn't pass up this book because it looked interesting.

Thanks for leaving this for me to find!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 04, 2006
What an interesting book!. I have lost my Mom this year and some of the passages were so poignant. The process of thinking through and finding out about one's parents happens at any time but especially after their death. Nikki misses her Mom's special touches; from baking bread to visiting. I liked the way Oates had Nikki 'grow up' throughout the book

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 09, 2006
Starting to read this tonight :)

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 18, 2006
This book was a nice story of the loss of a family member and how those "left behind" cope with the changes. However, there were parts of the book I found really annoying. Obviously, Clare was annoying (she was ment to be so), but really, there were a couple of times when Nikki should have put her in her place. There is only so much she should have allowed herself to be pushed around.
I also had some issues with Oates' writing styles. Some of it was very repetitive. She used "Damned if I..." so many times through the book that it completely lost any sense of meaning for me. There were a couple other cliches she used that after a while were annoying to read about.
I have another of Oates' books. I'm interested in reading if she uses similar phrases in her other books, and if some of her descriptions are the same.

This is reserved for YourOtherLeft.

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Sent off today to YourOtherLeft as a 'thank you' for waiting for another book from me for so long!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 23, 2006
Yay a wishlist book for me! The waiting was no problem...I only had to go without any books to read for a few days..... j/k! ;-) Thanks a bunch!

Journal Entry 10 by yourotherleft at Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Donated when I moved.