Chore Whore : Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant

by Heather H. Howard | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mwade78 of Las Vegas, Nevada USA on 7/23/2005
Journal Entry 1 by mwade78 from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Saturday, July 23, 2005
***BOOKRAY***

Reading this book and decided I just had to share. PM me to join with your location & shipping preferences. Thanks!

This book is for those of you who need some humor in your reading. I'm not done with it just yet, but dying to see exactly what it is that Corki ends up doing!!!

***Chore Whore by Heather Howard
Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant

Description from inside jacket cover:
After working thanklessly for a dozen celebrities at a time for nearly twenty years, Corki Brown has finally reached her breaking point. She's tired of finding high-end, supersize condoms on her days off. Tired of handling extortion deals and washing groupies' dirty underwear. Tired of whipping up intimate dinners (on no notice, of course) for ten stars at a time who all have their own strict personal diets.
For Corki, mundane tasks have suddenly morphed into the surreal, and when her ten-year-old son starts exhibiting some very strange habits, the need for change becomes clear. Using her wits and talents learned from years of mothering self-centered stars, Corki devises a plan of escape---to save herself, her family and ultimately, her family.

Journal Entry 2 by mwade78 from Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Saturday, July 23, 2005

Journal Entry 3 by mwade78 at Bookray in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, September 03, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (9/3/2005 UTC) at Bookray in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Releasing book through bookcrossing rings/rays forum.

Enjoy the book & happy reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by fsr44 from Pawtucket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Received today. Great timing, as I leave for LA on Sunday. Will try to read it before I go. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by fsr44 from Pawtucket, Rhode Island USA on Thursday, September 29, 2005
No plot to speak of, but that's not really the point of the book. It is a fun, light look at the wacky side of being a celebrity personal assistant, and it's slightly better written than you might expect. It was patently obvious that the author has worked for Rebecca DeMornay and Jennifer Anniston, as she treats Anniston with respect and fawns over DeMornay. Likewise, all the various "real people" whom she name drops throughout AND thanks in the endless pages of acknowlegements in the back. Must one really thank their dry cleaner and liquor store owner? Particularly when one has already plugged their businesses throughout the novel?
I don't want to give anything away, so I'll keep this statement general, but the fact that a protagonist who is set up to be moral and ethical in her dealings with her clients would go to the lengths she did to protect the Jack Nicholson character from a fate which his longstanding illegal actions made him justly deserve bothered me greatly.

I PMd cougmax a few days ago. If I hear back from them by tomorrow, I can get this book in the mail before my vacation. Otherwise, it will have to wait until after the 14th.

Journal Entry 6 by fsr44 from Pawtucket, Rhode Island USA on Sunday, October 16, 2005
Never received a response from Cougmax, so I'm sending to tbeckross.

Journal Entry 7 by tbeckross from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, October 29, 2005
Received today as part of a ring. Starting right away, and thanks for sending!

Journal Entry 8 by tbeckross from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Monday, October 31, 2005
A fun, quick read. I zoomed through it in a day or so.

Journal Entry 9 by tbeckross from Washington, District of Columbia USA on Friday, November 04, 2005
No response from senorag, so I sent it to silverstarry today.

Journal Entry 10 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Friday, November 25, 2005
Received this yesterday - can't wait to read it!

Journal Entry 11 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Monday, November 28, 2005
I have mixed feelings about this book. It was a fun, quick read over the Thanksgiving holiday, but at times the book seemed little more than a pity party a la The Devil Wears Prada. I tend to have very little patience with people who bitch about their jobs but do nothing to better their situation (i.e. try a new career, get training in another field, etc). In this case, it was a little more understandable since the main character, Corki, has a ten year old son depending on her, but that didn't make her laundry list of errands any more fascinating to read about. The real drama, of course, was with the celebrities themselves, not the menial tasks they give to Corki. Her misguided sense of loyalty to her clients hurts her, which is why I have very little sympathy for her. When she has a chance to move on to a better situation, she doesn't take it. She lets a client guilt trip her into staying on as an underpaid, unappreciated doormat. Lastly, the end of the book bothered me. I understand that many times in life, it's not what you know but who you know but it seemed to me that waiting for someone to come rescue you from a crappy life is not the best way to find a better life. I was glad that the character decided to take the opportunity offered to her, but I wish that it didn't seem like too neat of a solution and from out of nowhere.

Interestingly, I just watched a travel special on Greece and Santorini this weekend, so the section of the book where Lucy goes to Greece seemed especially timely. One of the things I really enjoyed about the book were all the food references. Just reading some of Corki's menus made my mouth water!

Thanks to mwade78 for sharing this book. Despite some of the negatives, this was a fun weekend read.

Journal Entry 12 by silverstarry from Berkeley, California USA on Friday, December 02, 2005
Mailed to sgscarcliff today!

DC# 0304 1070 0002 4158 5495

Journal Entry 13 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Wednesday, December 07, 2005
I picked it up yesterday from my mailbox and am about 1/3 done and am enjoying it. I will finish shortly and send on its way and will post then

Journal Entry 14 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Sunday, December 18, 2005
I found the book to be a fun read and am real glad I am not a personal assistant.

Thanks for sharing and I will mail tommorow

Journal Entry 15 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Saturday, December 24, 2005
Got this in the mail yesterday! I have a couple of rings in front of it and then will get to this one. Thanks

Journal Entry 16 by mysteryfan03 from Moberly, Missouri USA on Tuesday, January 24, 2006
I thought that the book was interesting to read and see what would happen next to the characters. It would be easy to read this and think that it is a true story, although the book clearly states that it is a total work of fiction and the imagination of the author (other than the celeb names of people and places which are used fictitiously), so I didnt see this as "real"

If the author had had a job like this, it would have hit me differently. As a work of fiction, it was a little fun, though a little overdone at times. The ending was a little too pat and a quick way to end the story. And, yes, the ackowledgements and thank yous were quite lengthy :+)I will be passing this on soon. Thanks for sharing it!

Journal Entry 17 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006
Came in the mail this afternoon. Looks like fun! It's a totally different type of novel from those I usually read. (When I signed up for this bookray, I thought it was pure nonfiction.)

Journal Entry 18 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 25, 2006
I loved it! The adventures just piled up on top of each other, until that frenzied wedding scene.

Blaise and his school mishaps were very diverting.

fsr44, thanks for the "tip" on who Jock was based upon -- I'd never have guessed -- as I read about him, I kept visualizing Charlton Heston walking away from Michael Moore in Bowling For Columbine.

Now -- who were Lucy, Esther/Liam, and Veronique/Roberto supposed to be? No, don't tell me, it might spoil my vivid mental images.

Speaking of spoilers, here's one (run cursor over white area to read):

When Roberto gave Corki the restaurant in St. Bart's I hoped so hard that she would run into Basil again. Alas, no! (unless there is a sequel ...)

Garnetfairy had a note on her profile asking to be skipped for rings, and I couldn't get in touch with wyldewomin, so this will be mailed to Lpree Monday or Tuesday.

Journal Entry 19 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, April 06, 2006
This arrived a few days ago and I've been carrying around a piece of paper with the BCID on it since it arrived and am only now logging it in. Sorry!

Anyway, I have a few other rings ahead of this, but will read it as soon as I can! I'm really looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 20 by Lpree from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Friday, May 05, 2006
I finished this book last night. I too did not really like the ending. It was too wrapped up nicely, yet left me feeling like I needed to know more. I have to wonder how much of this is really fiction and how much is based on her real experiences... A fun read, but not anything more than that.

Thanks for sharing this book! I'm glad I had the chance to read it. I'll get it out in the mail soon.