Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth

by Tamar Myers | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by loriped of Keizer, Oregon USA on 7/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Friday, July 22, 2005
From the back cover:
When a new guest takes a fatal fall down the little PennDutch Inn's quaintly steep stairs, Miss Magdalena Yoder, the no-nonsense owner, is more worried about a lawsuit than foul play. Magdalena also has a bushel of other troubles: An arrogant congressman and his wife check in for deerhunting, offending the other guests who are animal-rights activists. Her Amish cook up and quits when vegitarians refuse to eat her hearty Pennsylvania-Dutch cooking. But when a second guest is found stiff, cold, and dead on Magdalen's handmade quilt, she's sure there's a killer somewhere on the premises.

This was the first book in this series that I have read. Maddalena is quite the character and her comments and insight into the "English" are very funny. This books includes recipes for some of the dishes described in the book.

Journal Entry 2 by loriped from Keizer, Oregon USA on Saturday, November 26, 2005
I'm including this in the Culinary Mystery Bookbox sponsored by Chef Anna.

Journal Entry 3 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, December 09, 2005
Took out of chef-ana's culinary mystery bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, March 03, 2007
This was a good mystery. It was so humourous that I found myself laughing out loud at times. I plan to read more in this series. This is the first book.

Released 12 yrs ago (3/3/2007 UTC) at controlled release in controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

Released into affinity4books Egyptian and Edibles Bookbox for the Keep Them Moving release challenge. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Taken from the box in early March. So sorry the original journal entry for this did not go through! :) I don't really read books from this genre but it's got the whole Amish thing going on...and I'm so obsessed with the Amish... :) Thanks loveamystery and LoriPed! By the way...so funny that the book would start here in Oregon, go all the way to Canada, and then come back here again!

Journal Entry 7 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Tuesday, July 17, 2007
I just finished this hilarious book this morning. Magdalena really cracked me up! I hadn't read a mystery in a really long time...so long that I'm not even sure I've ever read one! Besides the goofy storyline and humorous characters, I really liked how the author showed us a glimpse into how Magdalena viewed things on the "outside"--opposite from me! For instance, as she's checking people into her hotel, she says how she wishes she could go visit all these places that the people come from. That's ironic because the number one place that I would love to go visit is Amish country! Also, she says that all the English (non-Amish people) look alike to her--funny because the Amish all dress pretty much the same--(same clothes style, hair cuts or up-do's, shoes, buggies, etc.)--they all look alike to me! I will be releasing this soon.

Sending this silly mystery to bestfriends in France, winner of my August Fill My Map RABCK. Hope you enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 9 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, August 13, 2007
In my mailbox today, or at least that's when I found it (having been away from home since the 10th). Thanks elizardbreath for this RABCK. I'm glad to have put France on your map.

Looking forward to reading this. It looks like a fun read. I'm very curious what the so called "Dutch recipes" will be like (being Dutch myself). Most of the time people confuse them with German recipes you see. Will come back here and let you know, when I have finished it and I promise to keep it moving. That could take a while as first I have to move myself. I will be living in Belgium next month!

Journal Entry 10 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, August 17, 2007
I already finished it. A quick fun read! Nothing "Dutch" in there though; all the more "Deutch".

Here's a site with Dutch recipes in English

Thanks again. I will try and find a new home for the book. I hardly ever release in the wild, will find someone who has it on his/her wishlist to RABCK it to.

Released 11 yrs ago (8/17/2007 UTC) at Controlled release in nearest postoffice France, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book will travel back to the States.
Off to tenneh in Nebraska by surfacemail. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by tenneh from Verdon, Nebraska USA on Monday, August 27, 2007
What a great surprise! I am really looking forward to reading it. And looking forward to trying the recipe - I love trying new recipes. :-) Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 13 by AngelfireStar at Verdon, Nebraska USA on Monday, July 05, 2010
TBR