The Wasp Factory

by Iain Banks | Horror |
Registered by droogie of Nottingham, not specified not specified on 7/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by droogie from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Friday, July 22, 2005
Frank, no ordinary sixteen-year-old, lives with his father outside a remote Scottish village. Their life is, to say the least, unconventional. Frank's mother abandoned them years ago: his elder brother Eric is confined to a psychiatric hospital; and his father measures out his eccentricities on an imperial scale. Frank has turned to strange acts of violence to vent his frustrations. In the bizarre daily rituals there is some solace. But when news comes of Eric's escape from the hospital Frank has to prepare the ground for his brother's inevitable return - an event that explodes the mysteries of the past and changes Frank utterly.

Journal Entry 2 by droogie from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Wednesday, August 03, 2005
Being sent on a Ray to the following:

YowlYY
nice-cup-of-tea
redjanet

Journal Entry 3 by YowlYY on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Arrived today, thanks!
I see that this has turned into a ray, so I will see to read it asap, however I have to warn you that I have already 4 rings/rays here that have priority as they reached me last week. I will try to be fast :)

Journal Entry 4 by YowlYY on Saturday, August 20, 2005
Hmmm, what shall I say about this book? A difficult case for a journal entry, really! I liked the style, brisk and to the point, very suitable to this narration we read from the point of view of Frank. However, I had a HUGE problem with the violence on animals described here minutiously and I admit that just because of that I was very much tempted to stop reading the book and pass on to the next ring. However, I persevered, and although the book did not improve - violence on animals is very present until the end - I cannot say it was a complete waste of time. It was...different to say the least. I was disappointed not to have found a plausible explanation for the change of behaviour in Eric, nor did the author bother with a better explanation of the strange relationship between the father and Frank. At the end, it seems as if the author could not bother to tie the loose ends, and it does read like a first novel. Interesting story, shame about all that killing of animals, as it was really something the story could have done without.

The book will be passed on to nice-cup-of-tea as soon as she gives me the green light :)

Journal Entry 5 by YowlYY on Monday, August 22, 2005
Mailed today to nice-cup-of-tea...happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, August 25, 2005
Just arrived in the post today, along with 2 exotic teabags - thanks yowlYY!

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, August 27, 2005
A strangely compelling, but disturbing book and like YowlYY I hated all the stuff on the various animals. But, I had to keep reading... I felt that the relationships between Frank, the Father and Eric could have been explored in more depth, and the ending, although surprising, wasn't very convincing! Having said all of that, it was an 'interesting' read which I couldn't put down! Plus, any book which has a list of quotes, both good AND bad from reviewers in the front cover, has to be ok!

Journal Entry 8 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, August 27, 2005
Waiting for Redjanet's address, and then the book will be on its way!

29th August - Sent B Post to Kent!

Journal Entry 9 by redjanet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 03, 2005
This arrived in the post this morning. Thanks, nice-cup-of-tea for the tea anc hocolate! :)

Journal Entry 10 by redjanet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 29, 2005
I finished this the other day and while I found it compelling, I wasn't exactly overwhelmed by this debut novel. From the reviews above this one I was expecting something a lot more gruesome than it was. Not that I don't think the scenes other readers have described *weren't* gruesome, but I guess after reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis earlier in the year I don't find scenes of violence that shocking anymore.

As I said, it was a compelling read which was drawn out well and which kept me wanting to know more. The ending was interesting and not one that I had predicted.