The Palm-Wine Drinkard

by Amos Tutuola | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Dunzy of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 7/18/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Dunzy from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, July 18, 2005
A lively (though sometimes baffling) tale by a West African writer. Dylan Thomas described it as "brief, thronged, grisly, and bewitching."

Journal Entry 2 by Dunzy at on Thursday, March 16, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (3/16/2006 UTC) at

Mailed as RABCK to fellow-BXer.

Journal Entry 3 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 21, 2006
I received this book in the post today. (By the way, that weird "k" in my last name should actually be an e with an umlaut--it must have got scrambled in transit from me to you :))

Thanks Dunzy! Balance has been restored. :)

I loved the postcard. I wish my penmanship were as clean and distinctive as yours, lol.

Looking forward to reading it soon.

Journal Entry 4 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 16, 2006
I read this as part of Thursday5's 5 to the 5th Reading Challenge (I was planning to read it soon anyway, just not right now). I had difficulty at first with the broken English--I so wanted to take out my editor's pencil and go to work. I'm sure this urge would have been reduced greatly if, instead of reading it, I had been listening to someone reading it--it really begs to be taken in as an orally told story.

Once I got past the editing compulsion, I really enjoyed this collection of tales. Bizarre, magical, with unexpected language and plot twists and vivid imagery, it was like reading the relation of a series of dreams. I liked it a lot.

Journal Entry 5 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 28, 2006
Sent to Sheepseeker as a bookray.

Note to Bookray participants: The order of recipients is on my bookshelf. Please don't keep the book too long. Thanks for playing.

Journal Entry 6 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Found it in my letterbox today - thanks, Ibis3!

Journal Entry 7 by Sheepseeker from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 06, 2007
What a strange story! It's bizzare and sometimes hard to read because of the language but strangely enough it kept me reading. I think Dylan Thomas' descripion ist just right - it is a bewitching story.

Thanks for sharing it with us! Tomorrow I'll send it out to nuriayasmin...

---

This is my Nigeria-read for the Olympic Challenge!

Journal Entry 8 by nuriayasmin from Miraflores, Lima Peru on Wednesday, January 17, 2007
The book arrived today and I'm looking forward to reading it.

February 5, 2007
That's not my kind of literature at all, I'm afraid. On page 30 I gave up, I couldn't follow the story (if there is any) and didn't understand the author's intentions. Well, I just hope everyone behind me will enjoy the book more than I did.

Journal Entry 9 by nuriayasmin from Miraflores, Lima Peru on Tuesday, February 06, 2007
The book is now on its way to the UK.

Journal Entry 10 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 09, 2007
Arrived today - thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by Apechild from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 09, 2007
I had a free day today and as it isn't a long book, I thought I would get it read. The first thing that hit me was the awful English, it took me a while to get used to it and I can understand how this would be off putting to people. I think it could have been edited and still kept the folkstory - oral tradition feel to it. Although I have to admit, the more I read, the more I didn't notice the bad use of language. Why we had to know at exactly what time everything happened, I'll never know!

So it's the story of a guy who likes his palm-wine so much, that when his palm-wine tapper dies, he takes a ten-year trip to the city of the dead to get his palm-wine tapper back. And meets a lot of strange characters along the way. It's definately got that old style oral tradition/folkstory feel to it in the way that the supernatural world blends with the "real" world and this is just accepted by all. The story about how he met his wife was a particular curiosity: her following the complete man from the market, who happened to be a skull who had just "rented" body parts off others. And when they got back to the skull's house, they had her sat on a large frog with a cowrie around her neck.

It's the second Nigerian writer I've read this year, and I prefered Achebe, but thank you Ibis3 for sharing this curiosity!

Journal Entry 12 by juhturo from Székesfehérvár, Fejér Hungary on Thursday, March 01, 2007
The book arrived safely today, I will start reading it today in the evening.

Released 12 yrs ago (4/25/2007 UTC) at Post office in Mailed to next BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

I liked the book very much, especially the juju-parts :o))

Journal Entry 14 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Friday, May 11, 2007
Arrived in my p.o. box today. Thanks Ibis3 for including me in the bookray, and juhturo for posting the book to me!

Journal Entry 15 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, July 19, 2007
Thoroughly satisfying read!

Now I understand some of the influences on Laurent Gaudé by African narratives.

Also, interestingly enough, many of the strange adventures of the palm-wine drinkard are similar to the supernatural elements common to the 'fantasy fiction' genre. I discovered several parallels between the Terry Brooks novel Straken and the incidents of the "Spirit of Prey," the "complete gentleman"/"Skull", the "red-fish" and "red-bird" monsters, and the frequent shapeshifting (the drinkard and his wife escape by turning themselves into lizards, dolls, and even 'air').

Journal Entry 16 by rootmartin from Wellesley, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, July 28, 2007
Received two days ago. Thanks, okyrhoe for the lovely postcard and for the mini booklets. I'm looking forward to reading this book!