From the Land of Green Ghosts: A Burmese Odyssey

by Pascal Khoo Thwe | Biographies & Memoirs | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Scruffykaz of Rainham, Kent United Kingdom on 7/16/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Scruffykaz from Rainham, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, July 16, 2005
A member of a tiny, remote, Burmese tribe famous for their "giraffe-necked" women, student Pacal Khoo Thwe was forced to flee to the jungle during the rise of the corrupt military dictatorship. His lover had been arrested, raped and murdered b the armed forces, and Pascal became a guerilla fighter. But a chance meeting with Dr John Casey, a Cambridge don visiting Mandalay, would change both their lives forever.

Overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles and danger, the two men strike up a scholarly correspondence that would take Pascal from the brutal hardships of guerrilla warfare to the hallowed world of Cambridge University. This is the moving true story of his extraordinary life and miraculous journey.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/19/2009 UTC) at -- By post or by hand --, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This is another charity shop find that has sat on my shelf for years. Again, it is no nearer the top of Mt TBR so I am releasing it into the bookbox hoping that it finds an appreciative reader. I'm moving soon so I need to downsize my book collection! Happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 3 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 26, 2009
Another one taken from soffitta1's asian theme bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by Chucklesthescot from Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 19, 2009
It was a very slow descriptive book in the beginning and I just couldn't get into it. I'm impatient for things to start happening so I give up quickly if the book starts slow. I think this book needs someone with the patience to let the story develop at its own pace! Offering this one in ApoloniaX's asian virtual bookbox to find the 'right' reader for it.

Journal Entry 5 by Chucklesthescot at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/5/2010 UTC) at Paisley, Scotland United Kingdom

Heading off in the Asian VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Shroffland from Snellville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Thanks, Chuckles! This arrived in today's mail!

Journal Entry 7 by Shroffland at Snellville, Georgia USA on Sunday, September 04, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (9/3/2011 UTC) at Snellville, Georgia USA

As a previous reviewer noted, lots of description that didn't contribute to movement of the story. I regret to say that it didn't hold my interest enpoough to finish it.

Sent to sofitta1, who requested iut from the Global Village VBB. I hope you find it more compelling!