Tess of the d'Urbervilles

by Thomas Hardy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by -Psyche- on 7/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by -Psyche- on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Not terribly long ago, I read this for my AP Literature class in high school and loved it.

A blurb:
"A ne'er-do-well exploits his gentle daughter's beauty for social advancement in this masterpiece of tragic fiction. Hardy's 1891 novel defied convention to focus on the rural lower class for a frank treatment of sexuality and religion. Then and now, his sympathetic portrait of a victim of Victorian hypocrisy offers compelling reading."

Journal Entry 2 by -Psyche- on Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Now reserved for That's Classic! bookrelay.

Journal Entry 3 by -Psyche- at Book Relay in Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 13, 2006

Released 18 yrs ago (5/13/2006 UTC) at Book Relay in Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Sent as part of a Classics relay. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Bibliochick! from Wilmington, Delaware USA on Thursday, May 18, 2006
Received today for the 'That's Classic' relay - thanks for the book!

Journal Entry 5 by Bibliochick! from Wilmington, Delaware USA on Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Sending off to rooshill as a surprise RABCK - enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by rooshill from Grass Valley, California USA on Wednesday, May 2, 2007
woohoohoo!! too bad you don't have the visual on me...I did a cute little giggle-dance when I opened this package. :) Thanks, Cinnamon-Girl.

Journal Entry 7 by rooshill at Grass Valley, California USA on Tuesday, September 6, 2016
I've been terrible for the past year or more...I read a book, put it on the journal-then-release/pass on/donate pile, then forget about it until I set the next one on the pile. I'm home alone today and decided it's high time to work my way through it.
I'm going to journal them all, then carry them along to the used book shop to trade or donate to their hosted program. (they send books to juvenile hall) Anything they don't want will go along to one of the local animal charities for their thrift shops or to the break room table at work for anyone who may pick them up.

What a great read! No wonder it's a classic. Poor, beautiful, simple, tragic Tess. Men suck. (I say, with an eye roll) I almost prefer Alec to Angel, at least he's honest. Thank goodness that I was raised in a time and culture in which my subsistence and personal worth do not depend on such as they. I am grateful to have a career where I am valued for my intellect, regardless of my gender, and to have a husband who is a partner in life, not a ruler or demi-god to grant me reason for existence.