The Red Queen

by Margaret Drabble | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Miss-Owl on 7/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Miss-Owl on Wednesday, July 13, 2005
An interesting story behind this one. Bought Drabble's "The Witch of Exmoor" at Berkelouw's second-hand. Read it, lent it to my friend Maggie who... dropped it in a bath! It now being out of print (apparently) she reincarnated the loan in the form of "The Red Queen" - a MUCH prettier Drabble than my original bedraggled one!

Journal Entry 2 by Miss-Owl on Thursday, January 05, 2006
There's a story behind the story in this book too, although I just didn't find it very enthralling. The tale of the 'Red Queen' must be an entrancing one - since so many characters in the book, including Margaret Drabble herself, are so taken with it - but to me it felt distant and unreal. I would say this is a novel of ideas, and the ideas get in the way of the novel.

Journal Entry 3 by Miss-Owl on Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Offered in bookrelay as part of the '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die' relay... & accepted by lmn60! On its way soon...

Journal Entry 4 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Thursday, June 01, 2006
Arrived safely today! This one looks intriguing, so I'll pop it near the top of Mt TBR! Thanks Miss-Owl...

Journal Entry 5 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 17, 2007
Finally moved this one from 'To-be-read' to 'Read'!

I was really looking forward to this one, but have to agree with Miss-Owl that this novel is primarily one of ideas rather than emotions.

I understand that 'ironic detachment' is part of Drabble's style, but for me this book became too 'cerebral', and I found myself unengaged by the characters and their respective fates. I also noted with interest that Drabble makes a brief foray into postmodernism at the end of the novel - and frankly, don't think she really pulled it off!

That said, this book is very well written and will hopefully be enjoyed by another reader. Thanks for sharing it with me, Miss-Owl!

Journal Entry 6 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, November 17, 2007
Sending off to HoserLauren as part of the BookObsessed November YBS.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 24, 2008
Received today - thanks so much LMN! It's weirdly reassuring that postage from Australia to Canada takes as long as Canada to Australia (I guess I don't feel like Canada Post is an incompetent as I once thought lol)

I've had this on my wishlist for a short time. I'm lucky to be able to fill the wish so quickly! Thanks again! :)

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Drabble writes the story of the Crown Prince of Korea and his Red Queen. The book is split into two: the princess' story and a modern day parallel. The princess married the crown prince while she was still a girl and had many pressures put on her shoulder as a kid. She also had to deal with the strained relationship between her husband and father in law, which eventually led to her husband going crazy.

This section of the story was interesting but I felt that the princess was detached, which made me detached. I also felt that Drabble spent too much time at the beginning telling the reader where the story would lead. A hint here and there is usual but she was telling the reader that the crown prince would go crazy every page.

The second half of the book followed Dr. Babs Halliwell who had lost a son and her husband had also gone crazy. She flies out to Seoul for a conference and reads the princess' diary on her flight over. She feels a connection with the princess instantly, but this is where I lose touch with what Bab's story has anything to do with the princess. She starts an affair with a prominent academic and makes friends with a doctor that specializes in strokes.

Then Drabble makes the mistake of trying to write herself into the story. It seems more like an afterthought and doesn't fit in to the story.

The first half of the book was interesting, but it could have ended there and been more satisfactory.

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 07, 2010
Mailed off to my birthday partner today!

Journal Entry 10 by nvangel2073 at Moab, Utah USA on Tuesday, November 22, 2011