Velocity

by Dean Koontz | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CheriePie of Campbell, California USA on 7/11/2005
Journal Entry 1 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Monday, July 11, 2005
From Booklist
Billy Wiles tends bar in a tavern in his small California hometown, from which he has never moved despite the horrific night when he became an orphan at 14 and its equally horrific aftermath. Some 15 years later, he published a well-received book of stories and met Barbara. They were about to be married when botulism in canned vichyssoise put her in a coma, and Billy more or less on hold, living on the hope that she will revive some day. Some five years further on, Billy finds, under the windshield wiper of his car, a note offering him a hideous decision. If he doesn't go to the police, "a lovely blond schoolteacher" will be killed; if he does, "an elderly woman" will be murdered. Billy doesn't exactly go the police. He shows the note to a cop who is probably his only real friend and who seconds his conjecture that the note is just an exceedingly tasteless prank. Of course, it isn't, and for the rest of an exceedingly tightly wound thriller stubbornly focused on him, Billy struggles to discover the identity of the soon-serial killer, who plants evidence incriminating Billy on his (her? their?) victims. Eventually and all too soon, Barbara is threatened, and Billy's subsequent suicide predicted, in the murderer's ostensibly final note. Not as moving as Odd Thomas (2003), as creepy as The Taking (2004), as darkly funny as Life Expectancy (2004), or as thought-provoking as any of them, Velocity is, however, more suspenseful and more grueling--genuinely terrific.
--Ray Olson
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

UPDATE 02-JUL-2006: Reserved for three104 after I've read it, as a thank you for letting me add some books to sunlightbub's m-bag. :)

Journal Entry 2 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Monday, October 16, 2006
This was another one of Koontz's fast-paced, roller coaster rides. I loved how the chapters were short, some only 3 pages in length, which somehow that added to the whole speed/action thing. And based on the title, this is what he'd set out to accomplish and he did so with applomb.

Throughout the story, you're left wondering right up until the very end, who's responsible for all the murders going on around Billy, and the notes they're leaving him that bring him into the fold. (I won't go into a synopsis here as I included it above.) And just when you think you've got it figured out, like Billy, you're thrown a curve ball, just like on a roller coaster. hehe

This book will be heading off to three104 shortly as a thank you for letting me add 2 books to the m-bag she's doing for sunlightbub. :) Thanks hon!

Journal Entry 3 by CheriePie at RABCK in Media Mail, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 27, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (10/28/2006 UTC) at RABCK in Media Mail, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

RABCK to three104 for organizing sunlightbub's m-bag and accepting a couple books from me to add to it. :)

Journal Entry 4 by ThreeSixNine from Catawba, Wisconsin USA on Friday, November 10, 2006
This arrived yesterday. Thanks for much for the book. I just finished The Husband so I'm really looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 5 by ThreeSixNine from Catawba, Wisconsin USA on Monday, January 18, 2010
This book has lingered here long enough, time to move it along. Sending to Tribe for release.

Journal Entry 6 by wingTribefanwing from Wake Forest, North Carolina USA on Friday, January 29, 2010
Thanks for sending!!

Reserved for the This City Reads/Akron Reading festival day Feb. 6th, 2010

Journal Entry 7 by wingTribefanwing at Main library in downtown Akron in Akron, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 30, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/6/2010 UTC) at Main library in downtown Akron in Akron, Ohio USA

Look for the Rubber City Book Posse!
We will have a table and be giving away books at the Family Reading Festival on Saturday, Feb 6th from 10AM to 4PM. Located at the Main Library in downtown Akron.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Tribefan. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.