Chocolat

by Joanne Harris | Women's Fiction |
Registered by kinedi of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 7/11/2005
Journal Entry 1 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2005
Lansquenet-sous-Tannes--"a blip on the fast road between Toulouse and Bourdeaux"--and new home to Vianne Rocher, her six-year-old daughter Anouk, and Anouk's "imaginary" rabbit, Pantoufle. They arrive "on the wind of the carnival", and, a couple of days later, Vianne opens a luxuriant chocolate shop. "La Céleste Praline" bubbles over with the most tempting of confections, topped with an irresistible selection of rich, smooth chocolate drinks. It's Lent, the shop is opposite the church (which Vianne and Anouk don't attend) it's open on Sundays and Francis Reynaud, the austere parish priest with the "measuring, feline look" is not exactly happy.
As one by one the villagers sidle into the shop to sample Vianne's concoctions, we learn of their characters and secrets, their loves and desires, their troubles and hopes. Sad, polite Guillame and his dying dog. Shoplifting, beaten Joséphine Muscat. And Armande Voizin, still vigorous and perceptive in her 80s, who can see Pantoufle, and recognises Vianne for who she really is.

But Reynaud has his power base. And when Vianne advertises a Grand Festival of Chocolate to start on Easter Sunday, it's all-out war. War between church and chocolate.

--From Amazon.co.uk

Journal Entry 2 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Friday, August 19, 2005
Reserved as part of a trade for E-mile. Thanks very much !!

Released 14 yrs ago (8/25/2005 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

On it's way now to E-mile in Holland.

Journal Entry 4 by E-mile from not specified, not specified not specified on Sunday, September 11, 2005
There't the book. Thanks Kinedi; it looks great (and the chocolate is great too!!) I've just seen the movie two weeks ago, and am curious about the book.
The 'Vietnam book' must be with you soon too; posted it last week.....

Enjoy the book and your Vietnam-trip; I'm gonna put Chocolat on Mount To Be Read!!

Reserved for Marsala; will be handed to her on the meeting in Castricum.

Have fun with it!

Journal Entry 6 by E-mile at by hand in In Person, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 21, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (6/22/2008 UTC) at by hand in In Person, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Boek gaat morgen mee naar Castricum en zal daar aan Marsala gegeven worden. Veel plezier ermee!!

Journal Entry 7 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, June 22, 2008
Thank E-Mile for this book! Luckily you managed to find me in time, before I left. The book is going on my tbr-pile for a little while.

November 22nd, 2008: I just finished the book and I really enjoyed it. It is very lovely to get to know all the people in Lansquenet and how Viannne and her chocolate has an influence on everyone.

Journal Entry 8 by marsala at By mail, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/26/2008 UTC) at By mail, Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

To the winner of the Smile Day RABCK November, congratulations!

Journal Entry 9 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, December 01, 2008
Thank you for the book! I read this ages ago and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to re-reading it.

11.02.09

Re-read this last night and really enjoyed it. I read it a few years ago, and didn't really remember much about it. Think I will have to look out for the film coming on TV!

Sending to the decoy winner of the International Smile Day RABCK, which I organised.

Journal Entry 10 by lucy-lemon at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/12/2009 UTC) at by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sending to the decoy winner of the Smile Day RABCK. Thank you for being the decoy!

Journal Entry 11 by Inge1983 from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Well then, thank you, this was on my wishlist. What a surprise!!

Finished this one on 30-7-2009. I really love this story.

Journal Entry 12 by Inge1983 at OBCZ Griffioen in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/20/2012 UTC) at OBCZ Griffioen in Amstelveen, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Op de boekenplanken van OBCZ Griffioen gezet.