The Big Over Easy

by Jasper Fforde | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Vroomfondel of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/10/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 10, 2005
Jasper Fforde's fifth book and the first one not to feature Thursday Next. In 'The Big Over Easy', DI Jack Spratt investigates the demise of Humpty Dumpty. Did he fall or was he pushed? Two-thirds of the way through, I wasn't sure how good it was, but in the end it was really great ending to a excellent book.

Updated 12 July: On its way to nice-cup-of-tea after spotting it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, July 27, 2005
Received with pleasure today from Gothmarcus as a little RABCK :-) Thanks so much. It may be some time before i get to this, since Mount TBR is at a critical stage, but be assured I am really looking forward to reading this, and it will probably go out as a RABCK to other Fforde fans, before residing in my PC (although it will always be available for loans and bookrings...)

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, August 14, 2005
Mirani has requested to borrow this book, and since there's a few books on top of it on Mount TBR, Fforde is doing a little trip to Germany! posted 15 Aug B Post

Journal Entry 4 by Mirani from Rüdersdorf, Brandenburg Germany on Thursday, August 18, 2005
The book arrived today for a short visit in Germany.
Thanks to nice-cup-of-tea for borrowing me the book!

Journal Entry 5 by Mirani from Rüdersdorf, Brandenburg Germany on Tuesday, August 30, 2005
I just finished "The Big Over Easy". It was a good book. But sometimes it was hard for me to read and to understand it. That only because of a little cold. I shouldn't read books in English when I'm ill. :-) So I acctually didn't get all puns and jokes of the book. Maybe also because I hardly knew some englisch-spoken nursery rhymes. Beside that I still enjoyed the book very much.
Jasper Ffordes imagination seems to be inexhaustibly. So I wait for the next books.:-)

Tomorrow I will send it back to nice-cup-of-tea.

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Received back in the post from mirani - will go back on the top of my TBR pile!

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, September 29, 2005
What a briliant book! Fforde is a genius :-) I loved the fact that this book is set in Reading (I couldn't shake the feeling that you could see this as the town off the M4 or you could see the word as the act of reading!) and i recognised lots of the places, having lived in Reading for a while! It's hard to explain the plot, but basically a rollicking good detective story, with a few twists to the tale. A fantastic backdrop of nursery rhyme characters, anthomorphic animals and just lots of jokes and word plays. I noticed passing references to Monty Python and Dan Brown amongst others. As with all Fforde books, I think it demands several re-reads to get all the jokes! Thanks Gothmarcus. I will send this out on a ring when my life is a little bit more in order!

Journal Entry 8 by sun-beetle from Stäfa, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, June 18, 2006
spotted on nice-cup-of-tea's book mountain and kindly lent to me - thanks!
Am currently reading through the Thursday Next Series, right now I'm at the third one. So it'll take me a while before starting on "The big over easy". But I was so happy to discover that Fforde has written more books, even as I'm sceptical if there any good without Thursday in it... well here's my chance to find out.

Journal Entry 9 by sun-beetle from Stäfa, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, September 17, 2006
A truly fantastic read! Is it for the fantastic fantasy, or Fforde unique sense of humor, I enjoyed every minute reading this book...
I liked the characters for their predictability, but very true personalities. Also the bad charcters were somehow fun with their weaknesses and faults. This book is full of hints and little fun scene to smile and laugh about, Fforde shares quite a few weird thoughts with his readers...

Thanks so much for lending ncot, will find it's way back to you at the next opportunity.

Journal Entry 10 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, February 25, 2007
Back on my bookshelf, thanks sunbeetle!

Journal Entry 11 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, July 28, 2007
Book re-read in preparation for reading "The 4th Bear"! The Big Over Easy is still excellent!

Journal Entry 12 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, December 16, 2007
Being released at Book party 15.12.2007 or at local Caritas Shop

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, February 15, 2008
I got this book from a friend. She wants it back so she probably has somewhere planned for it to go next

CAUGHT IN ZURICH SWITZERLAND

Journal Entry 14 by nice-cup-of-tea at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, October 16, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/16/2009 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

Left at Cafe Gloria for the next reader

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, October 29, 2009
Read ASAP

CAUGHT IN ZÜRICH SWITZERLAND

Journal Entry 16 by wingOBCZ-TeddysDenwing at Herisau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden Switzerland on Thursday, April 14, 2011
Ist im bärigen Stübchen eingetroffen und zu behändigen.

Journal Entry 17 by wingOBCZ-TeddysDenwing at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/12/2013 UTC) at Café Gloria (OBCZ) in Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

comes along to our faceboocrossers meetup at the Cafe Gloria, and could be a good read for captain_fantasy....

Journal Entry 18 by yetiyeah at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, March 12, 2013
I devoured this book in one big gulp- a truly exellent read! I will return it soon to the Cafe Gloria for the next lucky person to find..

Ps. Special greetings to the predecessor who made the epic journey from Gmünd to Göpfritz and left his ticket behind as a bookmark.