The Burning of the Rose

Registered by lauraloo29 of Edmonton, Alberta Canada on 7/9/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 09, 2005
In the Florence of the Medicis and the Renaissance painters, a young woman grows in promise - and in beauty. Claire Tarleton - musician and artists' model - blossoms under the tutelage of her foster parents, Walter and Elisabeth, who have cared for their foster-daughter since her natural parents died in teh London plague that almost claimed a two-year-old Claire as well.

Fear of a Turkish invasion prompts Walter, Elixabeth adn Claire to flee Italy for a small village on the Normandy coast. There, in a world buffeted by the forces of England and France, Claire encounters questions about her parents' past and her own future. There, too, she attracts the attention of the handsome Linacre brothers, Thomas and Richard, both of who set out to woo her.

Journal Entry 2 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Sending as a RABCK to PepeLePew. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday, November 08, 2008
Arrived safely today! Thank you so much, Lauraloo29 :)

Journal Entry 4 by PepeLePew from Sarajevo, Sarajevo Bosnia-Herzegovina on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
I'm not really sure what to say about this book. I liked it and disliked it at the same time. It seemed as if the author tried to write too many different stories at the same time and ended up confusing me completely. Also, I found the relationship between the two main characters rather disturbing and certain things about the historical events around them quite naive and simplified. However, the writing is excellent and the historical period in which this story is set is one of the most interesting, for me at least :) Also, some of the thoughts expressed in this novel were very true and very insightful.

Although the faults of this novel were obvious, I still liked this book despite them, which is very rare.

Journal Entry 5 by PepeLePew at Chillout Hostel in Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (11/9/2013 UTC) at Chillout Hostel in Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia

In the common room of the Hostel. Enjoy :)