Breakfast at Tiffany's : A Short Novel and Three Stories (Modern Library)

by Truman Capote | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 067960085x Global Overview for this book
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 7/8/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, July 08, 2005
Found this lovely copy in the local Caritas shop. Never seen the film of Breakfast at Tiffany's - maybe I'll rent it after reading this

Bought at "Kunst & Krempel", Caritas Zürich, Birmensdorferstr. 53, 8004 Zürich (opp. Bahnhof Wiedikon)
This is a great source, and there seems to be quite a quick turnover!
All books are CHF 3 - in German, English & some French & Italian.
Click here for map

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, July 30, 2005
A great read! I had no conception of the plot of "Breakfast at Tiffany's". I guess Holly Golightly might count as one of literature's "tart with heart. heart"!! Confused, selfish, egoistic, infuriating, and great central characters!

Capote has a wonderful style of story-telling that leaves you wanting more, even though each story is complete in itself. I also enjoyed the three short stories: "A house of flowers", "A diamond guitar" "A christmas memory". I found the last story, "A Christmas memory" particularly poignant - a beautiful story of two friends, one old, one young and their friendship and generosity. The image at the end of two kites flying, reminded me of the start of "The Kite Runner".
p.161 "And that is why, walking across a school campus on this particular December morning, I keep searching the sky. As if I expected to see, rather like hearts, a lost pair of kites hurrying toward heaven."

Journal Entry 3 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, July 30, 2005
Saving this as a RABCK for a Zurich bookcrosser!