Stranger at the Wedding

by BARBARA HAMBLY | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingkatayounwing of Tehran, Tehran Iran on 7/8/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Friday, July 08, 2005
Book Description
Kyra was preparing for her final wizard test before the Council. But suddenly, something was twisting her magic, weaving sinister portents of doom into even the simplest of her spells. Then she knew for certain that her young sister Alix was soon to marry--and soon to die. And so she journeyed back to the family who had disowned her. To save her sister, Kyra would have to face down her father's rage, stand firm against the venomous rivalries of her family's enemies, and confront the Inquisition. Then she must defeat a still deadlier foe--if only she could find it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Friday, July 08, 2005
continued ring of ekaterin4luv from here.

Bookring:

1.)katayoun Iran
2.)MollyGrue USA
3.)dodau GB
4.)realkiku D
5.) ekaterin4luv D

Journal Entry 3 by ekaterin4luv from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Friday, July 08, 2005
Thank you soo much katayoun for providing this extra copy of my book. I hope to meet a lot more nice people like you. Bookcrossing rocks. Ennjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Sunday, August 28, 2005
Finally got this! I'm very sorry about the lost copy...but I already started this one and am currently on Chapter 4. Knowing how quick Barbara Hambly novels go, I could easily see this going out in the mail next week with my other mailings. At any rate, I shall be reading this as quickly as I can. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 5 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Monday, August 29, 2005
I liked this! I remember reading The Dark Tower and the the beginning of the Silicon Mage a looong time ago and thinking I would get back to them one day (but kind of dreading it as I remembered it being somewhat confusing and dreary) but this book made me want to put the current book I'm reading aside and re-read those instead. I would recommend this book as an intoduction to that series instead of the other way 'round.

At any rate, I shall be mailing things Friday and this will be one of them. :)

Journal Entry 6 by MollyGrue at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 04, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (9/4/2005 UTC) at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Dodau. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 20, 2005
Can't rememeber signing up for this one but never mind. Looks good and will read it later this week.

Journal Entry 8 by dodau from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 27, 2005
It only took me a few pages to get into this book and then it was a quick enjoyable read. I haven't read any of this lady's books before but I enjoyed this enough that I will look out for others in the future.

Released 15 yrs ago (11/2/2005 UTC) at To the next participant in Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

Journal Entry 10 by wingrealkikuwing from Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, November 14, 2005
Arrived on saturday, thanks to all!

There are at least 4 bookrings to be read first but then the books time will be ready. I'm looking forward to it!

edit 7.1.06:
I enjoyed the book, although all in all the author has a very long-winded descriptive kind of writing.
The story and the protagonist reminded me of Marion Zimmer Bradleys Darkover, which I like very much.

Thanks to ekaterin4luv for the ring, this book will finally travel back to her now, and to katayoun for buying this new copy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingrealkikuwing from Oldenburg, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, January 09, 2006
I took it to the post today. Good journey back to ekaterin4luv!

Journal Entry 12 by ekaterin4luv from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Friday, January 13, 2006
Wellcome Home Kyra!

Journal Entry 13 by ekaterin4luv from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Monday, August 07, 2006
I really love this book, but since I joined bookcrossing I don't have the time to reread my books and every day I discover new books, so I will let this one go into the Yet Another English BookBox and hope it will have a good journey.

Journal Entry 14 by wingtayjanwing from Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, October 14, 2006
I took it out of the "Yet Another English Book Box"

Journal Entry 15 by wingtayjanwing from Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, February 15, 2010
I had never heard of the author before but the book sounded interesting - and it really was great. A lovely fantasy story with enough humouristic elements, just as I like it. I'm glad I picked it out of my MTBR because of the challenge and read it now.

Journal Entry 16 by timio from Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, February 22, 2010
beim Neusser Treffen mitgenommen - danke sehr!
schönes Buch, gut zu lesen

Journal Entry 17 by timio at Alte Post in Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Alte Post in Neuss, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

beim Neusser Treffen gelassen

Journal Entry 18 by wingdracessawing from Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, March 23, 2010
I read B. Hambly before and altough I prefer German (or translated) books I'll try this one. I think I could enjoy this.

Journal Entry 19 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, August 11, 2011
I liked it. And it's part of my privat challenge to read one english book a year. It was hard at the beginning because I could need more practise. But otherwise it wasn't to difficult and it was a good story.

Das Buch zählt ebenfalls für die Assoziations-Challenge zum Stichwort "Paar", da eine Hochzeit und ein Paar für mich ziemlich direkt miteinander assoziiert werden können.

Gerade ist mir noch eingefallen, dass das Buch diesen Monat auch für die Bergabbau-Challenge passt (Stichwort "Nee, wie süß). Dazu muss der Titel nur geringfügig ergänzt werden und lautet dann: Stranger at the wedding(CAKE).
Wenn das mal kein Volltreffer ist ...

Journal Entry 20 by wingdracessawing at Mönchengladbach, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, December 14, 2011
This book hides behind the 13. window of my 2011 Advent-calendar. It will travel as a bookray in 2012.

Bookray-Members are:
delfinnetti from Siegen
erinacea from Berlin
tourvel from Alsdorf
...
you ?

Journal Entry 21 by wingdracessawing at on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (1/5/2012 UTC) at

Das Buch macht sich auf den Weg zum ersten Teilnehmer. Viel Spaß und spannende Unterhaltung!

Journal Entry 22 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, January 10, 2012
The book arrived save and sound with a little detour to the post office. I alread read quite a few books by Barbara Hambly (the vampires, The Windrose Chronicles, the Dawarth series, the deamon stuff...). So my expectations are quite high! Let´s see if the book can live up to that ;-) I´m reading Brent Weeks "Black Prism" at the moment. After that it´s this books turn.

Edit 22.01.2012:
I just finished reading the book on a lazy sunday afternoon. It´s a good little story that makes me want to reread the The Windrose Chronicles. This story is taking place in the same world. One of the personas from that story features here to: Lady Rosamund (even if only in glimpses...).
The story in itself is suspensefull but not as good as the Windrose Chronicles and I don´t know if I would have understood all of it without the foreknowledge of those books.
I´m going to ask for the next adress right away.

Edit 27.01.2012: Second PM to erinacea for the next adress.

Journal Entry 23 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, February 03, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (2/1/2012 UTC) at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Since Wednesday the book is on it´s way to the next reader. Thank you for this bookring - I´m afraid now I will have to reread the Windrose Chronicles thus shortening my reading-time for new books... ;-)

Journal Entry 24 by erinacea at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Fetched from the post office today. I have two other rings that will need to be finished before I can start on this one, and right now my reading time comes in bits and bursts, so please bear with me.

Journal Entry 25 by erinacea at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Saturday, April 28, 2012
What an incredibly beautiful book! I'd spent the previous few weeks struggling with another book (I eventually dropped) and went for this one mostly for a change of reading material and because it was next on my bookring pile, and boy! what a delightful change!

I'm not entirely sure what I expected of this book when I joined. I thought the summary was interesting and the cover gorgeous. Then I read the excerpt on the second page or so, and loved the writing style, and then I began to read... :)

Loved the characters, very human and realistic (albeit in a fantasy setting). Kyra was a very likable heroine with a believable background and quite human shortcomings. I also liked Spenson from the start. Alix got on my nerves a bit and Algeron seemed a bit boring to me, but at the same time I totally understood her (if that makes any sense) and what she was going through. Kyra likewise, while not traditionally beautiful, appears to have both a striking personality and looks. (I found the depiction on the cover to fit her to a T, something that floored me all the more as it's so very rare.)
I liked how Hambly manages at the same time to both portray Kyra's impressions of people and events, and show something deeper that Kyra is not yet seeing. And I haven't even touched on the gut-twisting, er, twist yet. There had been hints before, but suddenly the story morphed into this dark and deep tale, which just... wow! Yeah, wow.

Spoilers: (Highlight with cursor to make them visible)
As I wrote above, I liked Spence from the start, and I knew, just knew that Kyra and he were going to fall in love. I mean it was so obvious from their first meeting. I loved how Hambly portrayed the hero, in a "he's nothing special until you get to know him" kind of way. And I adored the ending. It was clear that Kyra would not (nor should she!) give up her magical training, and I was fully prepared for an unhappy ending, so I loved how Spenson pulled through.

Lovely story. If I ever run across it, I'll buy it for myself. I might want to check out the Windrose Chronicles if they're this good. :)

Journal Entry 26 by erinacea at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany on Saturday, April 28, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/28/2012 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany

Brought to the post office today. I had been meaning to send it along two weeks ago, but I simply had to reread the ending first. (It was so full of suspense the first two times around that I simply rushed through it.) Sorry!

Journal Entry 27 by wingtourvelwing at Alsdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, May 09, 2012
Bin schon ganz gespannt, wer mit "stranger" gemeint ist :-)

26.03.2013
I've just finished it the second time :-) And again it was a good read.

28.08.2013
Ray:
1. Muscara
2. ...

Released 7 yrs ago (4/7/2013 UTC) at an einen weiteren Leser, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

Auf dem Weg zu Muscara. Viel Vergnügen beim Lesen! :-)

Das Buch ist gut bei mir angekommen und darf sich erst mal kurz auf meinem Bücherregal ausruhen, bevor es gelesen wird.