Cross Stitch (Outlander, US)

by Diana Gabaldon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by gailcm of Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by gailcm from Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 07, 2005
Really enjoyed this time travel romance.

Journal Entry 2 by gailcm from Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 18, 2006
First book in Diana Gabaldon Outlander Series.
This book will be the first of a spiral.
sending out to the following people before returning home:-
Vespa
CatrionaMoore
Teachie
Morpha
KitKat8
candy-is-dandy (it is here)
valer1e
Heathwitch
Gailcm

Many thanks to everyone who is participating.

Please note the extra participants at the end of the list, can you please updat the list written in the book. thanks.

Journal Entry 3 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Thursday, January 26, 2006
Arrived safely this morning. Next up on ring mountain, so I will hopefully start it early next week.

Journal Entry 4 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2006
A really great book that held me captivated from start to finish. Thank you for sharing this book. Have PM'd Catrionamoore and will get the book posted on just as soon as I get her address.

edited note ...posted book to Catriona on 13th Feb

Journal Entry 5 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Arrived safely whilst I was out today. I have 1 1/2 books ahead of this one so I will get to it soon enough.

Journal Entry 6 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 28, 2006
I ummed and ahhed when this book arrived, did I really want to read some silly time travelling romance story. It didn’t sound like the book I had signed up for one bit. Perhaps I did it in a moment of madness.

Now, I could have picked some serious holes with this book both historically and from a sci-fi background. I felt that too little of the technical stuff was swept away under the carpet and just ignored like too much hard work for the author. Questions, that I would have had to have asked and answered myself, just seemed to be ignored. Which to me seems daft if you are going to attempt sending someone back in time!

However, what red blooded woman isn’t going to want to take James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser and all that comes with him? I really can’t believe that I became so enthralled that I lost a couple of days in 863 pages of a romantic novel. I can’t help wondering if he is partial to modern married Sassenachs, and marrying outside of the clan if he’d take a married Sassenach Gordon? Damn it woman he’s only a fictional character!

I can’t wait for the next book. Seriously I may have to buy it off Amazon, if I knew which one it was. I'm sure I can hold out...

Journal Entry 7 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 09, 2006
Finally I have a child free morning - no ill children, no cancelled playgroup, no work - so I can get on with posting all my rings and boxes off!

I have morpha's address and will send this book, that I read as my 'G' author for my 2006 A-Z Challenge, on.

Apologies for the delay, and you might be interested to know that I have resisted buying the second book, it is only 1 particpant away afterall!

Journal Entry 8 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Friday, March 17, 2006
Just arrived today. It's up next. I've been ill for a week, this is the perfect book for lying abed.

I have read this series, but not for many years, it will be great to fall in love with Jamie all over again.

Journal Entry 9 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Sunday, April 02, 2006
I was confused at first by the title of this book, I later realized that the US version was titled Outlander, I wonder why?
I got turned on to this series when some friends dragged me to a bookreading by the author. Although historical romance is not something I normally read, I was instantly captivated by the humor in her writing, and by the characters themselves. The very next day, I bought Outlander (Cross Stitch in the UK) and was forever hooked.
I really enjoy the descriptions of costumes, food, living conditions, herbal lore, and customs and traditions of the times. I am not bothered by the time travel element as I am used to applying suspension of disbelief when reading fantasy or science fiction.
And yes, I instantly fell in love with Jamie all over again.

Journal Entry 10 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, April 24, 2006
The book arrived in the post from Morpha this morning and brightened my Monday morning. I have a couple of other books and the perennial essay to dispose of first and this will be my treat.

Journal Entry 11 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, May 28, 2006
Although historical romantic fiction is not really my cup of tea, I was attracted by this book because of the time slip element. I was not disappointed, even though as catrionamoore comments, there are serious issues with the book. But she is such a compelling storyteller that suspending disbelief is easy and I am left wanting to know more of what happens to Claire and Jamie, and whether or not she goes back to the twentieth century and her husband there.

Journal Entry 12 by riverwillow from Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
With my apologies for the delay I finally got to the Post Office today and I've realised I've screwed up and sent the book back to gailcm - I am so sorry, that will teach me to check on here before I send things back - grovelling apologies.

Journal Entry 13 by gailcm from Dundee, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 20, 2006
No grovelling needed. I only added them Sunday so there was no way for you to know if it had already been packaged up.

sending to candy-is-dandy

Journal Entry 14 by galexy on Saturday, August 05, 2006
From the journal entries this book seems to have been caught in a time slip and taken weeks to reach me!! But it's here now and not telling any tales of what it's been up to, ;-)

I was a bit surpised that I'd chosen this ring when I first opened it as it's been a while since I read what looks like a historical romance but the lovely journal entries have caught my attention and I must say I wouldn't mind falling in love with some scottish warrior as everyone else seems to have done. Maybe this could be some nice holiday reading!

Journal Entry 15 by candy-is-dandy from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 05, 2006
Ooops! That last journal entry was meant to be from me - not only a time slip, a person slip as well. I didn't realise I was logged in under my son's BC name not mine - I don't think he'll read this nor fall in love with wild scottish warriors!

Journal Entry 16 by candy-is-dandy from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2006
It seems to have taken me weeks to read this book (and that's after weeks of it sitting waiting for me). Apologies for all those waiting for me to 'Get On With It!!!'. The last few weeks I have been so busy that I haven't really had time to settle myself down to a long stint, no train journeys etc. and reading in bed never lasts long as I fall asleep!

Despite being very unsure about it when I started,(it seemed such contrived way to lead us into an historical romance)I have really enjoyed this book. I'm sure lots of holes could be picked but if you enjoy it for what it is, I have liked the historical and descriptive elements of the book, even the romance (old cynic that I am). I must admit I expected more to-ing and fro-ing between timezones which may have aided the contrast in the two lives but in general an enjoyable read.

This is off now to the next on the list (valer1e).

Journal Entry 17 by Versavisa from Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006
I had entirely forgotten about this series so it was a lovely surprise to have it handed to me by my neighbour this morning. (Takes in parcels for me - not a local bookcrosser. How handy would that be?)

Looking forward to reading it - many thanks for sending it on, candy-is-dandy.

Journal Entry 18 by Versavisa from Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 26, 2007
Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to reading the book - January has been unbelievably busy and included an office move (mine), and house move (not mine!).

However, it's read now and I'm not sure about it. I couldn't quite belive in it all. The time travel bit I could suspend disbelief in, but the rest? I'll read the next one in the series, when it's available and defer judgement until then.

PMing heathwitch today for address.

Thanks gailcm for sending it out on the ring.

Journal Entry 19 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 03, 2007
Received today and next up on the pile. Thanks!

Journal Entry 20 by heathwitch from Glossop, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 01, 2007
I could not get into this novel at all -- I didn't connect with the writing style or the characters. Mailing back to gailcm today.