The Secret Life of Bees*

by Sue Monk Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bookcookie39 of Simi Valley, California USA on 7/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by bookcookie39 from Simi Valley, California USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
This was the June 2005 SVWMC Book Club pick, to be discussed this Friday (7/8/05). I'm really enjoying the writing - very Southern (to which I admit to being partial) and Lily's narrative voice feels true to life. I like the characters as well, but I feel the story itself isn't terribly plausible. This book's not quite what I expected - for one thing, it's funnier -and it's been a pretty fast read when I've been into it, but it was fairly easy to put it down for a few days at a time.

Journal Entry 2 by bookcookie39 from Simi Valley, California USA on Sunday, July 17, 2005
Ready to be sent out to BCer Dreamlinque.

Journal Entry 3 by Dreamlinque from Olympia, Washington USA on Thursday, July 28, 2005
This book has been selected by one of my book groups, so I'll now be able to read it in time for our discussion next month. Many thanks to fellow bookcrosser, bookcookie 39, for making it available. It's been an absolute pleasure "bookcrossing" with you! :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Dreamlinque from Olympia, Washington USA on Wednesday, October 05, 2005
This is a very popular first novel that has now been optioned as a movie. The characters and their interactions are well-developed and believable, and the interwoven themes which include a girl's coming-of-age, what makes a family, racial and civil rights in the U.S. South in the 1960s, spirituality and religion, etc., are all moving and well-constructed. This is a fast and easy read that is also very thought-provoking.

Journal Entry 5 by Dreamlinque from Olympia, Washington USA on Friday, December 16, 2005
Our local BookCrossing group in Olympia, Washington, USA is joining with our "sister" BookCrossing group in Kent, U.K. for an International BookSwap.

I have, therefore, sent this book to Kent, since it's very "American" in its characters, settings, and issues.

This has been a very popular book in the U.S., and it has been discussed widely at thousands of reading groups. I hope it's enjoyed by our U.K. friends, as well!

Journal Entry 6 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2006
I caught this book today at the Meet-up in Ashford, Kent. This book has been recommended by so many people I'm really looking forward to reading it!

I've just realised it was sent over all the way from across the Pond - thank you for sending it! When I've read this book I'll release it at one of the meets in Oxford to help it on its travels!

Journal Entry 7 by Molyneux from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 29, 2006
What a beautiful story! I read it whilst travelling to Germany at Easter - so it's been to Hameln (as in the Pied Piper) and back to Oxford!

Thank you so much for sharing this book, I couldn't put the book down, became very involved with the characters so much so that I didnt want the story to end!

I didn't realise it was set in South Carolina until I started reading it, most strange because I've just finished reading Joanna Trollope's Girl from the South which was also set in South Carolina! BookCzuk thinks this is a 'sign' so I really do have to go to the BC Convention in Charleston in 2007 - I think she's right!

I'm taking it with me today to the BC meet in Cardiff, Wales.

Journal Entry 8 by Molyneux at Pen and Wig pub OBCZ in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, April 29, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (4/29/2006 UTC) at Pen and Wig pub OBCZ in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Around 2pm at the BookCrossing meet today

Journal Entry 9 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 29, 2006
Picked up at the Cardiff meet today.