The Poisonwood Bible

by Barbara Kingsolver | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 057120175x Global Overview for this book
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 7/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Kindly lent to my by my good mate Mags, who I'm persuading to join bookcrossing!
Will read this in time for my November bookgroup

Journal Entry 2 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, December 16, 2005
A truly brilliant book which had me hooked from the very beginning. I think it's one of those books that needs to be read and read again. I got completely engrossed by the family dramas during their year and a bit in the Belgian Congo in the sixties and there's lots of meaty family dramas to think about. But also wider themes about American imperialism, Southern Baptist missionary work, african life, Christianity.

At our Bookclub last night, the main argument raged around the Father. The book is written from the viewpoint of the mother and four daughters, with the father's voice missing. Half the bookclub thought that this was right. His thinking was shown by his action, and therefore his voice wasn't needed. I felt that Kingsover missed a trick, I really wanted to know quite why he acted the way he did! And there are lots of other male voices in the book, which just reflect the Father's lack of humanity, wisdom and christianity!

Will return this to Mags at New Year, but will have to get my own copy :-)