Earth Abides

by George R. Stewart | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Vickyloo of Barry, Wales United Kingdom on 7/3/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Vickyloo from Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, July 3, 2005
A third book club book for me to read - how exciting!

Journal Entry 2 by Vickyloo from Barry, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 25, 2005
I did enjoy some points of this book. The story did have potential but I thought the writing style was really bad.

SOME MINOR SPOILERS!

I did like some of the issues that were dealt with - such as the link between the overpopulation of the ants/rats and the disease that killed mankind.

I liked the way the issue of the death penalty was dealt with.

It was very thought-provoking in that it made me think about how different things stopped once humanity has disappeared and made me think about how organised and structured society actually - what would I actually be able to do if everyone disappeared?

I didn't like the characters - I found Ish to be arrogant and irritating - he was VERY derogatory about the other characters, believing himself to be godlike and all the others to be stupid (although this could be seen as more honest than arrogant). Ezra is the only character I was fond of and that wasn't a huge fondness.

The authors treatment of women was very derogatory - perhaps very Irish Catholic - Em is worshiped for being courageous and brave but considered useless for anything else - and even blamed for the killing of Charlie and so on.

Anyway, I could rant all day! My overall view is that I am glad that I have read the book but I don't think I would recommend it.

Journal Entry 3 by Vickyloo at -- Buses, Taxis, Trains in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, May 25, 2006

Released 17 yrs ago (5/25/2006 UTC) at -- Buses, Taxis, Trains in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom