The Birth of Venus : A Novel

by Sarah Dunant | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by librarymousie of Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on 7/2/2005
Journal Entry 1 by librarymousie from Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 02, 2005
From the back cover:

Alessandra Cecchi is not quite fifteen when her father, a prosperous cloth merchant, brings a young painter back from northern Europe to decorate the chapel walls in the family's Florence palazzo. A child of the Renaissance with a precocious mind and a talent for drawing, Alessandra is intoxicated by the artist's abilities.
But Alessandra's parents have made plans for their daughter, and she is soon married off to a wealthy, much older man. Meanwhile, the reign of the Medicis, with their love of luxury, learning, and dazzling art, is being threatened by the hellfire preaching and increasing brutality of the fundamentalist monk Savonarola and his reactionary followers. As the city shudders with violence and change, Alessandra must find her own way--and finally explore the passions she's kept so long at bay.

Journal Entry 2 by librarymousie from Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Friday, September 21, 2007
This has been sitting on my bookshelf forever, and I'm glad to have finally gotten my act together enough to read it.

A beautifully-written piece of historical fiction set in Florence during the time of Savonarola. Though there are some glitches in the storyline, it is not a bad read overall. Includes mention and description of some of the amazing works of art being created at the time.

I'm going to hang on to this for a couple more days, as I'll use it as an example in some workshops I'm giving next week. Then it will either be up for grabs or Wild Release.