Lolita (Vintage International)

by Vladimir Nabokov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Kaetzchen-GA of Hiram, Georgia USA on 6/29/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Kaetzchen-GA from Hiram, Georgia USA on Wednesday, June 29, 2005
from bn.com:

Nabokov's Lolita was originally published in 1955 and immediately became embroiled in its own censorship battles. The story is admittedly, purposefully, a shocking one: Humbert Humbert, an emigré academic, has a thing for young girls. Nymphets, he calls them, prepubescent girls who betray some precocious awareness of their own sensuality. Upon accepting a position at a new college, Humbert rents a room in town and falls madly, passionately, horrifyingly in love with his landlady's 12-year-old daughter, Dolores Haze, the Lolita of the novel's title. He marries Dolores's mother in order to maintain proximity to Dolores herself, and his relationship with her very quickly exceeds the bounds of stepfatherly affection.

There are several upsetting things about this story, not the least of which is that, it appears, Lolita herself is the seducer, and Humbert the seducee. Hence the ubiquitous comparisons of any precociously sexual, slightly dangerous girl to this character (for example, the "Long Island Lolita"). These comparisons -- and the moral censorship to which the novel has been subject -- are, however, based on a most superficial reading of the book, one that overlooks a basic literary concept: the unreliable narrator.

This is in the to be read category because I got half way through the first time and couldn't seem to read any more. The writing is great. The subject is shocking and the thread of the story keeps you reading - even when your teeth are worn down to nubs. One day...I do plan to finish it. I still want to know how it ends, but I need to my nerve up to finish it.

Released 12 yrs ago (6/29/2006 UTC) at via US post in sent to another bookcrosser, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

RWL Bookrelay - sending to Cobalt-Tree. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 10, 2006
Lolita arrived in my mailbox today. Thanks for granting my wish with the relay. This one is certainly going near the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 4 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 16, 2006
well I'm still finishing up some other books, so I've lent it to my friend for her week at a cottage.

Journal Entry 5 by cobalt-tree from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 04, 2006
I liked this book. I found it disturbing at times, but intriguing. There were sections I felt were too long, and disinteresting: a lot of the road trip parts, but I didn't skip anything and pressed right on.
Oddly enough, I think I was more facinated by Nabokov's comments on the book at the end, then by the story itself. Nabokov is a fantastic literary talent, and this was a very worthwhile read.