Past Mortem

by Ben Elton | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/28/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 28, 2005
I thought this was on my wishlist, but it wasn't, but I couldn't pass up the 75p cheap price at Cancer Research. I've missed a couple of Ben Elton's recent books; but he was always good for a chuckle or two when his left-wing politics weren't bleeding through too much

(24/05) Finished - review to follow

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 27, 2006
*spoiler*

Ben Elton does these books very well now, after tackling drugs & celebrity (High Society) and reality TV & celebrity (Dead Famous), he turns his unique form of satire (maybe?) and social realism to bullying and the nostalgia industry. Friends Reunited becomes the unwitting channel for a vigilante to find victims of school bullying. It’s up to the dysfunctional DI ‘Spewsome’ Newsome to solve the escalating crimes, rescue the damsel in distress, and turn from a self-deprecating weedy ginger short-arse into a brilliant detective and irresistible lover! I hope BE is not suggesting this as a panacea for the lack self-respect & low self-esteem that the bullied can feel?

This isn’t a book with a strong message; nor did it have me reaching to make a note of pithy quotable comments & observations, but it was still a cracking read! The central serial killer story is good enough, although their identity and the means, if not the motives, are obvious a bit too early, despite a couple of contrived red herrings.

Elton enjoys coming up with bizarre murders and sexual practices – so this is probably not for the squeamish or prudish. Maybe that’s the bit that I enjoyed most ;)

Released 13 yrs ago (6/7/2006 UTC) at Cambridge Coffee Company, OBCZ in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

A contribution for the new OBCZ; you want books, i've got plenty!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, August 07, 2006
looking forward to reading this

CAUGHT IN CAMBRIDGE CAMBRIDGESHIRE UK