Soul Mountain

by Gao Xingjian | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by lolamarie of Bozeman, Montana USA on 6/27/2005
Journal Entry 1 by lolamarie from Bozeman, Montana USA on Monday, June 27, 2005
Only got half way through this and lost interest. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it more than I did...

Publisher Comments:

In 1983 Chinese playwright, critic, fiction writer, and painter Gao Xingjian was diagnosed with lung cancer and faced imminent death. But six weeks later, a second examination revealed the cancer was gone, and he was thrown back into the world of the living. Faced with a repressive cultural environment and the threat of a spell in a prison farm, Gao fled Beijing and began a journey of 15,000 kilometers over a period of five months. The result of this epic voyage of discovery is Soul Mountain. A bold, lyrical, prodigious novel, Soul Mountain probes the human soul with an uncommon directness and candor. Interwoven with a myriad of stories and countless memorable characters — from venerable Daoist masters and Buddhist nuns to mythical Wild Men, deadly Qichun snakes, and farting buses — is the narrator's poignant inner journey and search for freedom.

Journal Entry 2 by lolamarie from Bozeman, Montana USA on Saturday, July 09, 2005
Mailed today to Rossella05 as part of a bookrelay. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by XIV-590003 on Saturday, August 27, 2005
It arrived this morning - thank you for sharing lolamarie.

Journal Entry 4 by XIV-590003 on Saturday, March 04, 2006
Didn't finish it I'm afraid, it just didn't capture my interest so I moved on to the next book in my TBR pile. It's currently traveling to JenLuvsBooks.

Journal Entry 5 by JenLuvsBooks from Roseville, California USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Arrived safely today. Thank you!