Scale (Penguin 60s S.)

by Will Self | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by constantweader of Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on 6/25/2005
Journal Entry 1 by constantweader from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, June 25, 2005
One of a batch of the little Penguin 60s books which I bought because I thought they would be fun to release.

Journal Entry 2 by YowlYY on Wednesday, July 06, 2005
Too cute to be left on its own on the huge table at the UnConvention2005!
Apologies for the belated JE...after returning to Nottingham on Saturday night, I had a day to prepare to my next business trip, and this is the first chance I got to journal the books found at the bottom of my backpack ;-)

Journal Entry 3 by YowlYY on Monday, August 22, 2005
This is an excerpt of Grey Area, a book I had forgotten was already in my Mount ToBee. As it doesn't make sense to keep it here now that I remember having the unabridged version, I will be sending it with another Penguin 60p to Bookgroupman...happy reading (and hopefully it isn't in your collection already)!

Journal Entry 4 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2005
Thanks for this RABCK. I've not read any Will Self before, so this should be a good intro to his work - I find these pocket penguins are good for encouraging or discouraging efforts to scale Mt Toberead!

Journal Entry 5 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 11, 2007
(10/10/07) This is an odd and dense little story about the unnamed narrator and his perception of himself and the world around him, ‘I have lost my sense of scale…but never my sense of proportion.’ He is a post-modern writer and poet specialising in travelling, collecting and philosophising on the cultural significance of motorways (well the M40 really!) as he cruises for new pharmacies to feed his Kaolin & Morphin addiction! The cover picture shows his pet lizard roaming the Beaconsfield model village (Beaconscot?). All very weird but good fun :-)

Oh dear, I’ve just woken up to the nerdy collection possibility of this series, having acquired all of the Penguin 70’s I might have to broaden my net.

Journal Entry 6 by BookGroupMan at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, October 13, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (10/13/2007 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Going along to today's meet-up or on the permanent bookshelves upstairs in Caffe Nero...

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 10, 2007
Picked this mini-book up at the Ipswich meet on Saturday. Unashamedly trying to boost my books-read-this-year number :o)

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookAmblerwing from Isle of Lewis, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 31, 2007
Hmmmm, a bit weird for me... Self must have been on drugs when he wrote it :-)

I liked the references to Bekonscot, the model village & railway in Bucks. Late 60s/ early 70s I visited several times, taken by my Grandparents during my summer holiday stay with them. (Yes, BookGroupMan, I think it was spelled differently - Beaconscot - back then.) By coincidence, I went there again earlier this year - but it's just not the same when you're a foot taller, with so little inner-child left!

Will see if there are any takers at the next Chelmsford meet, in a couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookAmblerwing at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, January 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (1/12/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Journal Entry 10 by bertietheBCbear from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 12, 2008
Caught at the Ipswich Meet today by Bertie the BookCrossing Bear. He sat on it for most of the meet, making sure no-one else nicked off with it! He's insisted that it's added to his Bookshelf and not mine, as it's a small book!

TurquoiseFloyd, Bertie's (ahem) PA.

Released 11 yrs ago (1/15/2008 UTC) at Riverside Inn at Victoria Road in Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom

To the Chelmsford Meet, tomorrow!