No Need for Speed

Registered by tehuti of Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on 6/24/2005
Journal Entry 1 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 24, 2005
Until his 40s, John Bingham was a self-avowed couch potato, who ate and drank too much and smoked. Now he has a large number of marathons behind him and is columnist for Runner's World. His motto is "You don't have to run fast to be a real runner" and he is sometimes referred to as "the patron saint of the back of the pack", but more frequently simply as "The Penguin".

In this book, John shares some of his knowledge, aiming particularly at those starting running for the first time as adults. He provides some helpful hints on what to wear, how to train and how to treat and prevent injuries, but does not go into these areas in any great depth. He has no need to, because there are many other books doing that job. John's main contribution is the inspiration and motivation that he provides. He writes about his own experiences with a mixture of humour, self-denigration, passion and wisdom. He writes about what makes people start running and what can stop them. The text is interspersed with his "exercises in joy", which seek to make us examine our own situation. There are also "lessons learned" sections, in which runners of all ages and abilities share important lessons they have learned in their running careers.

I was overweight from childhood and so bad at sports that no one wanted me on the team. Taking up running has not been easy. This book has provided me with much inspiration and a lot to think about and sometimes has moved me to tears.

Journal Entry 2 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 30, 2005
I am sending this out as a bookring:
Participants so far:
Jenatleisure (handover at BCUK Unconvention)
nice-cup-of-tea
loopy1
ermintrude75
clarrie-rose
KenseyRiver
tutleymutley
YowlYY

and back to me

Journal Entry 3 by Jenatleisure from Chobham, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, July 03, 2005
Tehuti, thanks for sharing this book with us all.
I'm hoping it will encourage me to put my shoes on and get out again.
Will read it this week and let you know how I get on.

Journal Entry 4 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, July 15, 2005
Received from JenatLeisure at our mini-meetup at the Clarence today!

Journal Entry 5 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Monday, July 18, 2005
This bookring was handed to me by JenatLeisure at our Mini Meet on Friday in the Clarence OBCZ - a very nice afternoon was had by all and I'm looking forward to reading this. Got a few books ahead of it, but should be able to start it quite soon. Many thanks JenatLeisure & Tehuti...

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, July 26, 2005
John's Website --> Waddle on!

This is a really inspirational book, less about the technique and detailed plans for learning to run, and more about the fears and challenges and pleasures of challening oneself.

What struck me were these ideas:
1. Accept your body for what it is, it's yours and you shouldn't compare it to anyone else's
2. Don't wait until you're fit and perfect and happy with your body before starting to run
3. Enjoy the process of learning to run and of becoming a runner, rather than having a fixed unobtainable goal. Don't rush this process!
4. Don't push yourself too hard - pain is not a necessary part of becoming a runner
5. It's about long term dedication, not just quick fixes!

I wish I had read this book before I ran the marathon in 2001. I really hurt myself doing it, and stopped myself running for many years. I am going to try and start again, and I will focus on enjoying the sensation of propelling myself forward with my own two feet. I found this a really powerful book, written from a very loving, sympathetic angle. John Bingham really shows us that beating ourselves up about our past, about our mistakes or decisions we made, is really counterproductive. All we can do is face into the future and forge a new path! I found his own story and his own honest very powerful and hopeful.

I'm going to create a new journal entry, and will copy in his 12 week running plan for easy reference. Many thanks to Tehuti for the bookring, and happy running everyone! :-) Will send to Loopy1 as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 7 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Tuesday, July 26, 2005
From the Sofa to the start line program (pg. 40-43)
* The program does NOT dicate what activity you do, just how long you do it
* This means you can run some, walk some, stroll some and look around some!
* The most important thing is that you START!
* Keep your expectations reasonable, you're at the start of a lifetime journey of running
* Week 1: don't try to run at all, just walk
* Week 2: Try running for 30secs for every 5 mins of walking
* Week 3: If you're comfortable, try for 1min running for every 4mins running
* Week 4 and beyond: Little by little, increase time running to walking.
* By week 6: aim for running and walking in equal amounts
* By week 12: aim for running for 5mins, walking for 1min
* It shouldn't hurt, it shouldn't pain and you SHOULD enjoy it ;-)

Week 1

Week 11
4 sessions | 3 x 30 minutes and 1 x 45 minutes | 2 hr 15 mins in total

Week 12
4 sessions | 3 x 35 minutes and 1 x 45 minutes | 2 hr 30 mins in total

Journal Entry 8 by Jenatleisure from Chobham, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 27, 2005
With all the rushing around to finish the book before I saw Nice Cup of Tea, I forgot to journal it. Whoops, sorry everyone

Anyway I use to run, well more "joggle" along and I too wish I had read this book before I started training for the London marathon. I particularly like the level of detail he goes into. The real basics that "experts skip over" For example he describes all the different shoe types really clearly.

As some one who has run before and really ought to know what to do, the best bits where the articles at the back of the book. It was good to realise that there is another plodder out there. I thought I was the only one.

Anyway, if he has inspired you. London marathon entries are out NOW and they close on 21st October. Even if you dont want a 2006 entry it is worth applying as you need to have been rejected several times before you get in.

Keep plodding.

Tehuti thank you so much for sharing this from your private collection.

Journal Entry 9 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, July 27, 2005
posted to loopy1 on weds 27th July, b post

Journal Entry 10 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 03, 2005
This book arrived at a very opportune moment - it came in the same post as my first subscription copy of Runner's World, and on a day when I have a run scheduled and for the first time am unsure whether I want to.
That's an exaggeration - I do want to, but Sunday's run really made my legs ache, although my breathing is a lot better, then yesterday my legs were still really aching, so I postponed yesterday's run. Today I really must go out, figuring out what to do with the kids while I do so, and it's raining.
But I intend to read this book and become inspired!
I already like the introduction: "People will tell you lots of good reasons to start running: lose weight, get fit, have a healthier heart, relieve stress, and lower your cholesterol, to name a few. In my experience, those happen to be just about the worst reasons to run.
...For some reason, runners are afraid to tell people the real reason they run. We like it! We really like it!"
I've always wanted to run, in a very vague kind of way, but without being able to put in the training necessary to run. Now I've started, and I'm really enjoying it. Despite the rain, and even despite the aching legs!

Journal Entry 11 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Apologies for having this book for so long - it's a good job it's not a race ;-)

I found it very inspiring, especially with things like "Had I pursued all my dreams, my life would be overflowing with the evidence of my sucesses at having attempted them rather than with the remnants of my failures."

He speaks very eloquently of the joys of doing something for its own sake, rather than because you're good at it, or can beat records. He speaks of the sheer joy of running, of pitting your body against the road and simply running, without worrying about speed, time, distance or anything expect the pleasure.

I haven't run much lately, because I'm just settling into a new term at work, with all that involves, but I do want to keep up the running once I'm into a routine, and I'll be thinking of this book often when I run.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, October 21, 2005
Brilliant timing - I am getting back into running after a holiday, and this book should help keep me on course to improve, but at my own pace. Thanks loopy1, and to tehuti for the ring.

Journal Entry 13 by ermintrude75 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 01, 2005
I really enjoyed reading this - I felt like I knew most of the factual stuff (kit, race tips, etc.) from having been hanging around on running forums and going out with a club, but I really valued the musings and tales of experience from John Bingham and the other runners quoted in boxes throughout the text. Their wise words come back to me when I've had a "bad" run, and make me realise it wasn't so bad after all. I am thinking of buying a copy of this book to lend out to friends who are considering taking up running, as I think it will help them an enormous amount.

The one essential bit of kit he's missing is one he would never buy hhimself, but half the running population need - a sports bra! What an omission - maybe it should be "wobble on, friends" for the ladies ;) Other than that I can't really fault it.

Onwards! Thanks Tehuti and Loopy.

Journal Entry 14 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 08, 2005
This arrived over the weekend - I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 17, 2005
I’m afraid this book didn’t really click with me. When I read the words ‘waddle on, friends’ my heart leapt, but I just couldn’t get into his style after that. I suppose I am quite keen for practical advice and this in parts reminded me a bit more of a self-help type book, which are not my thing at all. But then, we’re all different and I’m grateful to tehuti for sharing the book - anything that reminds me of the reasons to go out running is always welcome.

Journal Entry 16 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 30, 2005
I'll send this off to kenseyriver today.

Journal Entry 17 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 07, 2005
I'm really sorry, I didn't manage to get it sent off when I said I would. But it has gone off today, finally.

Journal Entry 18 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, December 11, 2005
So far I'm liking this book (up to pg 101). It's sensible and friendly; a bit "self-helpy" in places. I've got the shoes now I just need to get out more.

Journal Entry 19 by KenseyRiver from Brightlingsea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, February 05, 2006
Deeply sorry for holding onto this book, but I do have an excuse (you can decide if it's good enough). After getting this book, I suffered a bad ankle injury playing football. The details are a bit grim and I'm squeamish so lets gloss over all that. Anyway, I didn't feel like reading a book about running when I couldn't walk. I wanted to hang on to the book because surely I was going to recover soon. I am now admitting that, as I am still limping and can't run at all and it's been over a month, I should probably head for the doctor's and, more importantly, let this book go on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 20 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, February 16, 2006
I'd forgotten I'd even signed up for this ring! I normally 'hash' and have only been once this year, so hopefully it'll give me the boost I need to stop making excuses (loads, aren't there?) and get back out there with the pack. Work, college, life (knitting Olympics!) are all getting on top of me at the mo' so it'll be a couple of weeks before I'll have a bit of time to give to it. Hope you're not too impatient, Yowlly and Thanks Tehuti and Kenseyriver for this.

Journal Entry 21 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 11, 2006
I've just skimmed this. I think I'm already 'there' in a lot of ways - hashing is a fab way to get out there and enjoy running for the sake of it, with no competition or pain, and plenty of cameraderie and fun. I also kayak and walk/trek and love the outdoors. One of the little 'lessons learned' boxes highlighted throughout the book struck a chord with me: "Breathing hard for the first 1/4 mile or so of any run is normal, it doesn't mean you're out of shape. Once your body adapts to the stress, the breathing gets easier. Many people give up the run before their body has a chance to adapt." I can really identify with this - I'm always surprised when I realise I'm not sounding like puffing billy any more! Waddle on Folks! (The pic is rotund ol' me with my HUGE son at Interhash in 2004)
On to YowlYY now...

Journal Entry 22 by YowlYY on Monday, April 24, 2006
Me too, I had completely forgotten to have signed for this ring, and now here it is! It couldn't have arrived at a better moment, as the weather is now definitely springlike and improving by the day, and maybe I really should start running again. I have here with me three rings and two rays that need to be read before this one, but since it looks to me like the kind of book you could read in between, I might put it on my bedside table for the nighttime reading... More on my next JE :)

Journal Entry 23 by YowlYY on Friday, June 30, 2006
Funny, informative, easy, motivating... this book is very good, so good that I bought my own copy and one extra to pass on to a friend of mine :)
I have still the last third to read, but I will be doing so with my book, and passing this copy to detailista at the UnConvention tomorrow.

Thanks tehuti for sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Sunday, July 02, 2006
Thanks YowlYY and Tehuti for lending this book to me.

I had a lovely run along the canal whilst at UnConvention in Birmingham after reading a few pages for early morning inspiration.

:) I shall put this to the top of the mulit topped pile!