The Thorn Birds

by Colleen McCullough | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by appaloosatb of Rochester, Minnesota USA on 7/5/2005
Journal Entry 1 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Arrived here as part of App's PET project, saving books from the dumpster.

Journal Entry 2 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 3 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, January 12, 2006
This is going to head out to HoserLauren as a surprise and a thank you.

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 27, 2006
Wow thank you so much SM! This was a surprise RABCK, a very nice one at that! I put The Thorn Birds on my wishlist because it's a BBC list (#64), which is a list I'm trying to get through.
BTW, SM I love your West of Mars bookmark! It's very spiffy looking!! I'll put it in a safe place so that when you become rich and famous I can pull out the bookmark and show everyone! Signed by the rich and famous author herself!!

Thanks again! :)

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 20, 2018
This is a generational story of the Cleary family. With Irish roots, they settled in New Zealand and got in to sheep shearing. The family was large with many boys and one girl, Meggie, who just barely made ends meet. The eldest Cleary sister sends out a request for the rest of the family to join her on her huge farm in Australia. The family moves out there and learns life in the Australian outback. There are many ups and downs. Losses and births. The story focuses around Meggie as she grows up. As a girl, she looks up to the priest responsible for the local area. As Meggie grows up, she thinks there is an opportunity for her to pull the priest away from God but it's not meant to be. Love and heartbreak, this book has everything.

Being an older book, I find this book is very gentle and graceful. It's a pretty long one, and there were some things that probably didn't need to be in it, but the story developed the characters very well. Each character makes horrible decisions, but also good decisions. It's a pretty good representation of normal life.

Despite the gentle nature in which the story is tell, it's still pretty depressing overall. There's too much heartbreak for this poor Cleary family, it just doesn't seem fair to them.

This is true classical literature and I'm going to make sure I share my copy with others.

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.