Tess of the d'Urbervilles

by Thomas Hardy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/22/2005
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 22, 2005
A book from my personal collection, registered here as my book group is reading it in July - so somewhere for my review to go :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, August 20, 2005
**spoiler**

Well, that’s another 19thC classic to cross off my list! Seriously, they are quite a challenge, "The past is a foreign country..." and all that; the language, the manners, the complicated sentence structures! The real reason they are classics, of course, is that they have stood the test of time, and they are good stories, well written, with well drawn interesting characters (with maybe a hint of controversy or challenge to the normal form?)

I enjoyed the book on all sorts of levels, not least the plot, which came to me fresh and unspoilt; and the English social history lesson, the rural lifestyle in Hardy’s Wessex. Tess (Durbeyfield) is not a stereotypical innocent maiden, despite the books subtitle of ‘A Pure Woman’, she seems to invite some (most?) of her troubles. I have a book of literary detective stories, which challenges, ‘Is Alec a Rapist?’, and draws on contemporary and more recent opinions on what happened that fateful night in The Chase. The conclusion seemed to be that, in an imaginary court of law, Alec (d’Urberville) might be considered less a seducer/molester – and consequently TotD less of an ingénue - than she might be considered a murderess, rather than a victim??