The Devil's Teardrop

by Jefferey Deaver | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Antheras of Kitchener, Ontario Canada on 6/21/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
From Amazon.com:
Thriller readers can always count on getting extra value from Jeffery Deaver--strong plots, fascinating research, believable characters, and plenty of surprise endings. Like in The Terminator, the bad guys in The Devil's Teardrop just won't quit, and they create enough havoc in the last 50 pages to fill a whole new book.

Although Deaver's brilliant, wheelchair-bound forensic expert Lincoln Rhyme makes a guest appearance, the muscular scientist in charge here is Parker Kincaid--an expert in document analysis who'd much rather be checking the authenticity of letters from Thomas Jefferson than figuring out when a crazed shooter known as the Digger will strike again. But it's New Year's Eve, 1999, and the Digger has begun a reign of terror--promising to shoot into crowds in Washington, D.C., every four hours until he's paid $20 million. As Kincaid searches an odd ransom note for clues (and tries to maintain a low profile so that his vindictive ex-wife won't get custody of his young kids), we get to know the Digger better. He is a frighteningly invisible character with serious brain damage, who methodically obeys a set of instructions from an unknown handler. We also learn many amazing facts about paper, ink, and handwriting analysis, and watch as a relationship slowly and reluctantly develops between Kincaid and the FBI agent in charge. All this as the devious Deaver leads us down several garden paths overflowing with dead bodies.

Journal Entry 2 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 01, 2005
Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the Bookcrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Antheras. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 15, 2006
This was a book I pulled out of the box that Antheras gave me for my UW mass release because I'm interested in reading it for myself!
Looking forward to it, thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 17, 2014
Parker Kinkaid is an expert document analyst that's retired from the FBI to have a safer home environment for his two children. On New Years Eve in Washington, DC, a shooter kills many people at a subway station and a note is left for the mayor. Pay $20M or face three more shootings before the end of the night. The FBI brings in Kinkaid to take a look at the note and see what he can learn about the killer. Kinkaid finds one notable trait, what he calls the devil's teardrop, the dot on the i lifting up to make it look like a tear. Using this and other information, the team try to determine who is behind this and how to stop him.

This is the first Deaver book I've read and I was underwhelmed. The characters were rather one-dimensional. I couldn't connect with them so I didn't care what happened to them. Deaver tried at the beginning to get us to connect with Kinkaid through his children but by the time he was working he had lost much of his draw for me. It also felt to me like Deaver was creating characteristics for the characters just so they could be used to drive the mystery.

All of the suspense in this book was kept for the last 50-75 pages and by that time I was rather complacent about it. I'm not even sure if I'm interested in picking up another Deaver book after this one.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at St Lawrence Market, south bldg in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (4/25/2015 UTC) at St Lawrence Market, south bldg in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use my mom, AceofHearts, as a referring member.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Very detailed but a good read with lots of twists and turns, you never know what to expect. Very intelligent and not dumbed down for the average person. You learn something new in the chapters about human nature and strength of individuals and their capabilities regardless of their disabilities or personal setbacks. The most unlikely people are heros or villians. You just never know. All the characters are very human, I feel like I would know any one of them at some point in my life.