The Mill on the Floss

by George Eliot | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by laura0141 of Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on 6/21/2005
Journal Entry 1 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
The Back of the Book

Passionate, impulsive and unfashionably clever, Maggie Tulliver is one of the great heroines of English literature.

Brought up at Dorlcote Mill, but not given the education she craves, Maggie begins to sense the narrowness of her life. Her fiery temper brings her into conflict with her unyielding brother Tom and her small-minded aunts who disapprove of Maggie's wildness and wish she was more like her sweet cousin Lucy.

As financial disaster strikes Mr Tulliver, the rift between Maggie and her family becomes almost irreconcilable. And when she falls in love with Stephen Guest, who is engaged to Lucy, Maggie's struggle between personal fulfilment and social conformity, between her love for Tom and her own need for happiness becomes an impossible choice.

One of George Eliot's best-loved works, The Mill on the Floss is both a vivid portrait of rural life in Victorian England and a delightful evocation of a heroine whose rebellious spirit closely resembles George Eliot's own.

Journal Entry 2 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
BookRing

nice-cup-of-tea - Switzwer - Intl
caligula03 - US - Pref US
irishajo - US - Intl
Iagegu - UK - Eur - Last please
laura0141 - ENDS

Journal Entry 3 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 09, 2005
PMed first reader for address.

Journal Entry 4 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 09, 2005
PMed first reader for addy.

Journal Entry 5 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Just got this in the post today, I have a few books ahead of it, but will read and journal as soon as possible, thanks Laura0141 for sending :-)

Journal Entry 6 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, October 29, 2005
This was one of those classics I've always meant to read, but have only just managed it through bookcrossing, so thanks Laura0141 for organising this bookring and inspiring me :-)

I so enjoyed this novel, and the plot kept me guessing until the very end. The style reminded me a little bit of Thomas Hardy - the emphasis of nature as an external force and the idea that fate acts upon us. Also on the treatment of women, and particularly of the heroine. I thought Maggie was a great character, one of those females you really keep cheering for, and wanting to be like (like my other favourite, Jo in Little Women!). I think what was so interesting about the story is the idea of families, education and wealth. Even though it is set in a very particular context, ie rural Victoriana, I think the main themes are still revelant today. What is the value of education? How do you equip your children to face an uncertain future? How much can you rely on your extended family to help you out in difficult times? How important are possessions and what happens if you lose them? A great read, which will stay with me for some time!

Have PMed adrienne10 for her address, so will send asap.
Sent Mon 31st October (B Post)

Journal Entry 7 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Sunday, November 27, 2005
Book is here. Thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Saturday, December 17, 2005
I enjoyed the humor of the book but I didn't find Maggie the strong character that she's supposed to be. She's far too dependent on her brother for her own good.

Journal Entry 9 by caligula03 at on Saturday, December 17, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (1/2/2006 UTC) at

Mailing to irishajo.

Journal Entry 10 by irishajo from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Thursday, January 12, 2006
Received this today. I am currently reading another of laura0141's rings, The Portrait of a Lady, but will get to this one soon as I can.

Journal Entry 11 by irishajo from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Friday, July 21, 2006
Laura was gracious enough to let me keep this longer than I should have, but unfortunately I could never get into it. It's on its way back to her.

Journal Entry 12 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2006
Received with thanks.

Released 11 yrs ago (6/19/2007 UTC) at Centre for Women's Health OBCZ in Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom