Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Puffin Classics)

by Jules Verne, Robin H. Waterfield | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Brookeworm of Etobicoke, Ontario Canada on 6/17/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Brookeworm from Etobicoke, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 17, 2005
From the book cover:
A mission to rid the seas of a monster becomes a nightmare for Professor Aronnax, [and] Conseil and harpooner Ned Land when they become prisoners of the 'monster' itself - a spectacular submarine ship commanded by Captain Nemo. But the marvels of their underwater journey soon distract them from their worries - the Professor, at least, wouldn't have missed this voyage for the world!

I didn't realize when I bought it that it's an abridged version.

Journal Entry 2 by Brookeworm at Future Bakery Bloor and Brunswick in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 24, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (7/23/2005 UTC) at Future Bakery Bloor and Brunswick in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Releasing it at the bookcrossing meet.

Journal Entry 3 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 24, 2005
Picked this up at Starbucks yesterday (Yonge and Bloor) for my 11 year old son.

Journal Entry 4 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 14, 2006
Iain had already read this, so I am passing it along to HoserLauren, who has it on her wishlist. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 24, 2006
I got this in my little (OK, BIG!) pile of books from the convention. I had this one on my wishlist because I figured it's one of those books that you should read at some point in your life. Thanks for passing this along Enza!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Friday, April 19, 2019
Professor Aronnax is invited on an expedition to find a giant sea creature responsible for eating a hole in a steel ship and almost sinking it. Having a passion for studying the sea, he gratefully accepts and brings his assistant along with him. On the ship, they meet Canadian harpooner Ned Land who will be responsible for taking the beast down. It takes a while, but they eventually find the monster and pursue it. When they get close enough they try a shot at the beast, it looks like it does no damage. The beast takes aim at the ship and Prof. Aronnax and his mate go overboard.

In the water, far away from the ship, they also find Ned Land clinging to what looks like a piece of the beast. But it's made out of steel, surely it's not an animal. Suddenly a door opens and they are brought within this ship and kept captive. The beast they everyone has been trying to pursue is an advanced submarine.

Being kept captive on the ship, the trio is allowed to partake in the adventures they go on. They see things no one but those on the ship have seen and venture to places no one has been. It's obviously Verne had an incredible imagination to pull this book together and, despite it being 100+ years old, still reads like something that could happen today. This is where the book excels, as the characters are a bit weak. There was no purpose to Aronnax's assistant in the book at all. He provided absolutely not value to drive the plot forward. And even the main characters like Aronnax, Land, and Captain Nemo we don't find out too much about.

Even with this, the book's weakest point is the ending. It's like Verne couldn't figure out how to end the book so just gave up and said oh well we're done now. It's unfortunate as otherwise the book was pretty fun.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBucklesbookwing at Sobey's Mt. Pleasant & Soudan in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 01, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (6/1/2019 UTC) at Sobey's Mt. Pleasant & Soudan in Toronto, Ontario Canada

This wonderful novel, written in 1869 is still a literary experience that I am glad I have had . This copy has been travelling since 2005 and I hope the finder will enjoy this book as I have. I try to include at least one classic book in my releases every year and I am glad that this year it is "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea".