The Girl Next Door

by Jack Ketchum | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mellion108 of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on 6/16/2005
Journal Entry 1 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, June 16, 2005
This remains one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. This is the Leisure paperback edition and does not contain the intro that Stephen King wrote for it in the limited edition a few years back.
Paperback, 370 pages

From the back cover:
Suburbia. Shady, tree-lined streets, well-tended lawns and cozy homes. A nice, quiet place to grow up. Unless you are teenage Meg or her crippled sister, Susan. On a dead-end street, in the dark, damp basement of the Chandler house, Meg and Susan are left captive to the savage whims and rages of a distant aunt who is rapidly descending into madness. It is a madness that infects all three of her sons—and finally the entire neighborhood. Only one troubled boy stands hesitantly between Meg and Susan and their curel, torturous deaths. A boy with a very adult decision to make...

Journal Entry 2 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, June 16, 2005
Going out on a bookring! Mailing order:

Journal Entry 3 by residentwolff from Benton, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Part of a bookring! Thanks, Mel!

Journal Entry 4 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Monday, July 18, 2005
This made it to my home safe and sound today... I'm so excited although a bit nervous about reading this! I've wanted to read this book for so long, and have heard so much about it (particularly how utterly disturbing it is). And here's a cool "classic" cover of this book! It's next in line, then I'll be passing it on!

Journal Entry 5 by wingjarewing from Port Richey, Florida USA on Friday, July 29, 2005
This is truly the most disturbing book I have ever read. I just couldn't believe what I was reading! Horrific! I so wanted to just put this down, quit reading, but I couldn't help myself. I guess, like the kids, I had to keep watching, just to see how far it would go. It just worked on so many levels, and had a way of really making me dig deep inside and examine my own moral structure. Shows just how vulnerable and easily manipulated children can be in our all-too-adult world. Thanks, mellion108 for sharing this! I zipped through this in 4 days, which is unprecedented for this slow reader! I should have this out to Suebo very soon!!

Journal Entry 6 by Suebo from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2005
Book arrived safe and sound in Philly, PA. Thanks!

Reserved for Anni

Journal Entry 7 by Suebo from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, September 19, 2005
This was the first Ketchum book I read and I really loved it. Can't wait to read another one of his.

Journal Entry 8 by Suebo at Controlled Release in Vineland, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (9/27/2005 UTC) at Controlled Release in Vineland, New Jersey USA

sending out as part of a bookring!

Journal Entry 9 by Anni99 from Vineland, New Jersey USA on Saturday, April 29, 2006
I zipped through this book. My first Ketchum book and he can definitely spin a tale that is hard to walk away from.

Journal Entry 10 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, May 20, 2006
The book made its way back home (thanks, Anni99!). I hope to release it in the near future so it can continue its journey. Thanks to all who participated in the ring!

Journal Entry 11 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, July 08, 2006
This disturbing little tome will be making its way to Cyprus and into kislany's hands. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 12 by Kislany on Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Received this book a while ago, sorry for not journalling it sooner. Just noticed it now that it's not on my shelf when I picked it up to read.