Ship of Fools

by Richard Paul Russo | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by SoCalBookie of Manitou Springs, Colorado USA on 10/3/2002
Journal Entry 1 by SoCalBookie from Manitou Springs, Colorado USA on Thursday, October 03, 2002
Interesting Sci-Fi book. A personal spiritual journey in deep space, with a bit of evil thrown in. Excellent read.

Released on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at Bookcrossing Geocache (GC9CA2) @ Discovery Lake in San Marcos, California USA.

Released it in a Geocache called Bookcrossing Library - GC9CA2 at Discovery Lake. What the heck is Geocaching? Check out the web site to learn more - a fun treasure hunt with a GPS!

Journal Entry 3 by yrium from Escondido, California USA on Saturday, October 19, 2002
I picked this book up at a geocache in San Marcos located just a few steps off the path going around Discovery lake. The name of the geocache was BOOKCROSSING LIBRARY (GC9CA2). Thanks SteveL for placing the cache. I picked SHIP OF FOOLS out of the cache as I've always been an avid science fiction reader. The plot of a generation ship wandering thru space is one I've enjoyed before with Gene Wolfe's THE BOOK OF THE LONG SUN series being the best, though I do have a fond spot in my heart for Heinlein's ORPHANS OF THE SKY.

Journal Entry 4 by yrium from Escondido, California USA on Friday, January 03, 2003
I just dropped off the book in a geocache in Chula Vista called BOOKED UP. It is a HUGE plastic bin located in the out of bounds area of a little golf course. So I picked up the book from a cache and left it in a cache.

About the book: I got to the end of the story and felt that I must have missed something along the way. We have a ship wandering space for generations with no purpose in mind. The inhabitants of the ship are the crew, the council members, and the downsiders. The crew goes about day to day business keeping the ship running. The council members debate where the ship should be going but its all so pointless that I couldn't see why they wouldn't just stop and hang out at a planet. The poor downsiders were the ones you felt for. They were born, lived their sad lives as menial workers, then died all on a ship that didn't care for them at all.

There is a threat that they face and they face it but the situation is so out of their control for most of the book that you feel that it doesn't matter what they do.

So was the author trying to make a political point? I must have missed it along the way. Let me know if you figure it out.

--- yrium ---

Journal Entry 5 by we3cache from Fresno, California USA on Monday, February 24, 2003
Found in a geocache in Chula Vista, CA., while visiting. Acceptable read for a 6 hour drive home, but when I finished, I wanted to know how the ship members did on the planet? Is there a sequel - I needed some closure. Will release in Fresno.