Entering the Stone: On Caves and Feeling Through the Dark

by Barbara Hurd | Nonfiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingFiregirlwing of Tucson, Arizona USA on 6/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingFiregirlwing from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
From inside jacket: Barbara Hurd begins her foray into the increasingly popular pursuit of caving as we all would -- with a panic attack. Nevertheless, as her hunger to understand caves and caving increases, she lures the reader in deeper as well, to the extraordinary fascaintion of these dark spaces.

Hurd illumiantes the natural history and spiritual territory of caves as powerfully as Kathleen Norris portrayed the Dakotas and Barry Lopex the Arctic. She ranges from sacred caves in India to secret caves in Arizona and, with passionately informed prose, makes these places -- with the stalactites and blind cavefish and ancient galleries of white flowstone and soda straws -- come alive. Characters weave in and out of her story as well: a childhood friend dying of cancer, a wildlife biologist who specializes in bat guano, an elderly Indian guide, and the disembodied voice of a fellow caver, never seen, with whom she spends a profoundly illuminating half-hour.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this. It is not just about caving, not merely "I went into some caves and this is what I saw/did there". There is much, much more to this as the author draws parallels between her caving experiences and numerous other things in her life. It's like reading about her spiritual response to caving. She is a talented writer who presents both beautiful prose and some chilling images. Her description of "squeezes" are simple, yet they affected me deeply - making me slightly uncomfortable, even driving me outside at one point just to put more space around me.

I was going to save this for my bookbox but I think instead I will wild release where a caver has a good chance of finding it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFiregirlwing at REI, Southern and Priest in Tempe, Arizona USA on Sunday, October 2, 2005

Released 16 yrs ago (10/2/2005 UTC) at REI, Southern and Priest in Tempe, Arizona USA

Just outside, to the left of the front doors, tucked under the long, angled, metal support.

Journal Entry 3 by dlmajen from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Walking from the AZ School of Massage to Taco Naco in Phoenix, I passed by REI and saw the book sitting on a ledge outside the store. I read the first page and find the book very compelling. I am in the middle of a book and as soon as I finish it, I'll read this book.

I would probably never have picked this book...but I can tell from just the first page that it is very well written. Although on the surface it is a book about caves, I believe it will be a book about soul searching.

CAUGHT IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA USA