Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: Indian History of the American West (Arena Books)

by Dee Brown | History |
Registered by tutleymutley of Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on 6/15/2005
Journal Entry 1 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
I read this years ago (when I was in my teens) - and thought it was just the most riveting, brilliant read.
I gnashed my teeth, cried aloud and my heart ached for the Native American Indians. This is their tale as far as it can be told - of the huge misunderstandings, the clash of cultures. It's unputdownable.
The blurb says: "We see their faces, hear their voices as they strive to prevent the encroachment of miners, ranchers, saloon keepers and soldiers upon their land, their heritage and finally, their liberty. Woven into an engrossing saga of cruelty, treachery and violence are the fascinating stories of such famous warriors and tribal chieftains as Sitting Bull, Cochise, Crazy Horse and Geronimo."

Journal Entry 2 by tutleymutley from Newton Abbot, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2005
Since I don't want this book to gather dust - it's too good for that! It is going off on an international bookring.
Participants so far are:
Libahunt (Finland) Libahunt posted the book and its on the move again!(I now have a spare copy just in case it stalls again - apologies and thanks to everyone for their patience!).
Clarrie-Rose (UK)- book is here

Xiola-Bleu (UK)
Martinburo (UK)
KarenZero (USA)
Angelfirestar (USA)
FeralReader (USA)
Amusedbythis (USA)
xoddam (Australia)
and back to me if no more takers.

I hope this order works for everyone. If you wish to be added to this list,PM me.
You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address.
It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as speedily as you can.
Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it is) and again once you have read it (so we know what you thought of it)
If you're the last person on the list the book comes back to me until there are more interested parties.
Enjoy!

Released 13 yrs ago (9/19/2005 UTC) at posted to a fellow bookcrosser in Royal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Libahunt, all the way to Finland - enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Libahunt from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 23, 2005
It's so not nice when you wake up cranky and find a book waiting you in the mail box. It ruins the mood since suddenly you're all happy and excited. Poor crankiness, never getting a chance ;)

Starting to read right away (well, after I get some clothes and breakfast that is).

(And about my address, tutleymutley, you're not the only one with problems with it: usually not even Finnish people get it right without saying it two or three times slooowly :P I enjoy the looks on their face.)

Journal Entry 5 by Libahunt from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, May 04, 2006
The book is moving and my apologies for stalling it.

This was a great book, though hard to read emotionally.

Journal Entry 6 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 05, 2006
oops...I received this a good couple of weeks ago and obviously didn't journal it, even though I had every intention of doing so. Sorry to anyone who has been worried about the book's whereabouts. The good news is I have nearly finished it so it should be on its way again soon.

Journal Entry 7 by BC-08080413432 from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 06, 2006
This is a book about what happened to Native Americans in the nineteenth century, and it doesn't make for easy reading. It's taken me quite a long time to get through, because I had to stop every few chapters and read something slightly less upsetting. One of the books I have been reading alongside it is a Laura Ingalls Wilder and I have to say it's been an interesting juxtaposition to see how Native Americans were perceived by a little white American girl. Anyway, this book made me angry and sad and it was very interesting too. One thing I would say was that for me there was a bit too much focus on military strategy - I would have liked a bit more on what was going on in the wider culture and the war that was being fought on that front, in terms of what the media had to say and so on. Also, I would have loved to know more about what the women were doing while all this was going on. But overall I'm glad to have read this - I feel I've learned a lot.