Night Pleasures (#1 Dark-Hunters)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon | Romance |
Registered by NeedSun of Perth Road, Ontario Canada on 6/14/2005
Journal Entry 1 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 14, 2005
This was a fun, sexy read!

Here's the back cover blurb:

Dear Reader:

Have you ever wanted to know what it's like to be immortal? To journey through the night stalking the evil that preys on humans? To have unlimited wealth, unlimited power? That is my existence, and it is dark and dangerous. I play hero to thousands, but am known to none. And I love every minutes of it.

Or so I thought until one night when I woke up handcuffed to my worst nightmare: a conservative woman in a button-down shirt. Or in Amanda's case, one buttoned all the way up to her chin. She's smart, sexy, witty, and wants nothing to do with the paranormal--in other words, me.

My attraction to Amanda Devereaux goes against everything I stand for. Not to mention the last time I fell in love it cost me not only my human life, but also my very soul. Yet every time I look at her, I find myself wanting to try again. Wanting to believe that love and loyalty do exist.

Even more disturbing, I find myself wondering if there's any way a woman like Amanda can love a man whose battle scars run deep, and whose heart was damaged by a betrayal so savage that he's not sure it will ever beat again.

--Kyrian of Thrace

Journal Entry 2 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Journal Entry 3 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 14, 2005
On June 14, I sent this copy of Night Pleasure to Kiki66, along with Night Embrace and Fantasy Lover.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkiki66wing from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Friday, July 15, 2005
Arrived today with three other 'Night' books (and one 'Night' book from Finland..coincidence???)
NOW I have some serious reading to do! :-)

Thanks for sending them, NeedSun !!

Journal Entry 5 by wingkiki66wing from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, August 1, 2005
Well... I am through with this one, too...
And it was good that I read Fantasy Lover before... made some things clearer!

this one here was sometimes a bit violent for my taste.. too much torture and pain... but the end was good!
And I like this mixture of gods and hunters and humans :-))

Will send this book tomorrow to Rianonne....

Journal Entry 6 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Monday, August 8, 2005
Savely arrived! I will start it today :-)

Journal Entry 7 by Rianonne from Wien Bezirk 22 - Donaustadt, Wien Austria on Friday, August 12, 2005
Wow, that was a fast sexy read! I just love the mixture of paranormal creatures, humans and gods ... now I definitely want more *lol*

The book will travel on as soon as I am fit again - just hurt my right foot :-(

Journal Entry 8 by Rianonne at on Monday, September 5, 2005

Released 16 yrs ago (9/6/2005 UTC) at

send on to next reader in line

Journal Entry 9 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, September 21, 2005
A package from Austria was waiting for me when I came home from the university today! ;) Thank you Rianonne for sending the books my way, and for the beautiful postcard! And thank you NeedSun for including me on the rings! I read Dark Gold by Christine Feehan on Sunday, and I'm ready to start another vampire romance right away. It'll be interesting to compare the two authors.

EDIT: My opinion after reading the first 50 pages: I love this book! Sherrilyn Kenyon is so much better than Christine Feehan! I love the sarcastic humour and the pop culture references, especially to Buffy! I think that tv series might have been part of the author's inspiration. And I think it was brilliant of her to have the main character, Amanda, read Kinley MacGregor's Claiming the Highlander when she was moping. Kinley MacGregor is of course the same person as Sherrilyn Kenyon. :)

I found this quote, and I have to say I agree wholeheartedly:
"Those who can't get enough of bad boy heroes and Buffy The Vampire Slayer reruns will relish this roguish tale. Kenyon's Dark-Hunter books are changing the face of the vampire novel, making it hip, darker and all the more appealing to the next generation of readers."
Publishers Weekly
©Nov 17, 2003, Reed Business Information, Inc

Journal Entry 10 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, November 12, 2005
I finished this book two weeks ago, but for some reason I've had trouble writing a journal entry...

This book put my faith back in paranormal romance! The characters are believable, the dialogue is funny, and the plot keeps you interested. Even the sex scenes were pretty good, although there were a bit too many of them. Unfortunately when I was in the middle of the book, there was a two-week period when I wasn't able to read at all, and when I finally continued the book, I never managed to get back to the original feeling I had when I started reading Night Pleasures. It might have had something to do with the break in reading, or maybe the ending wasn't as fun-filled as the beginning, I don't know.

I loved all the supporting characters, especially Nick, and I hope we get to see more of them in the future. Now I'm just disappointed I passed on the chance to read Fantasy Lover. After reading about Grace and Julian in this book, I want to read their story too! I guess I was just fed up with romance at the time, because my first experience with paranormal romance, Christine Feehan's Dark Prince was a huge disappointment. I'm very happy that Sherrilyn Kenyon's books are much more to my taste.

EDIT: Thank you Kiki66 for sending me Fantasy Lover as a RABCK!

Here's a quote from the back of the book:
"If you love Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, then boy, is this the book for you... original and complex... the characters are unforgettable and the action thrilling."
-Romantic Times Top Pick

Now I just need to seal the envelope, and the book is ready to go out. I'll mail it to Auglaise on Monday (Nov 14) together with Night Embrace and Dark Magic.

Journal Entry 11 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 3, 2006
I seem to be losing my mind! I though that I'd journaled this and sent it on...obviously not! I'm so sorry I've had this so long, and it will be winging off as soon as I have an address. I've really enjoyed all of these that I've read, and think that Kenyon does a credible job of combining the supernatural with romance in an innovative way. Thank you so much for letting me read them!

Journal Entry 12 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 17, 2006
Being sent off today!

Journal Entry 13 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 19, 2006