Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

by mary roach | Nonfiction |
Registered by oatmealpie of Chandler, Arizona USA on 6/14/2005
Journal Entry 1 by oatmealpie from Chandler, Arizona USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Mary Roach has an incredible fascination with human cadavers. Based on the sizeable bibliography, she has researched volumes and interviewed countless experts to find out what happens to dead bodies when they are willed to science, turned into plastic, or exploded from an airplane. I found myself snorting aloud at several passages. I'd love to talk with her on the phone or have her as a close friend, although I don't know if I'd invite her to parties.

The gore in the book is entirely manageable, probably because there are no pictures (except one appropriate to each chapter of, say, the Wicked Witch of the West or a dumpling, but none of rotting or severed flesh).

From the back cover:

"Fascinating and oddly fun."
-Irene Wanner, San Francisco Chronicle

"Roach's dry, irreverent wit makes for a delightful--though never disrespectful--read."
-Les Simpson, Time Out New York

"Acutely entertaining, morbidly fascinating."
-Susan Adams, Forbes

Journal Entry 2 by zeena666 from New York City, New York USA on Friday, March 03, 2006
This book was received this morning; my sister is eager to read it. It'll be waiting for her when she arrives on Monday night. Thanks! :)

(By the way, I made the mistake of skimming through it before breakfast & ended up re-thinking my meat-based diet. Not that I was having beef for breakfast, but ennyhoo...)

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Hi, I'm zeena666's sister. I'm reading the book now. It's interesting. Thank you! I'm taking it back home with me.

CAUGHT IN ORANGE NEW JERSEY USA

Journal Entry 4 by zeena666 from New York City, New York USA on Sunday, April 16, 2006
My sister finished reading this- she rates it 6 stars & says she didn't find it as funny as everybody claims it is.

Currently reserved for an International Bookray!

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach, International Bookray (begins in June 2006).

IMPORTANT! ----> [Bookray members have 3 months to finish reading this book!] <---- IMPORTANT!

EDIT 4/30/06: In my forum post, I made a mistake in counting & sent out the wrong numbers to some people. THE LIST BELOW IS THE CORRECT ONE!

1. dietcokemama- Massachusetts.
2. quico- Portugal.
3. myntti- Finland.
4. keithneese- Alabama.
5. morpha- Oregon.
6. tranq1- Florida.
7. iamlovable33- Ohio.
8. Flaming-Ice- Kuwait.
9. AmyMS88- Texas. [HAS THE BOOK! Will read at a later date].

Journal Entry 5 by zeena666 from New York City, New York USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Released via mail this afternoon to dietcokemama in MA.- the first person on the list! Let the 6/6/06 bookray about cadavers begin! ;P Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by dietcokemama from Beverly, Massachusetts USA on Monday, June 12, 2006
The book arrived in the mail on Saturday. I'm almost finished with another ring book, so I should be starting this one in a day or two.

Journal Entry 7 by dietcokemama from Beverly, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2006
I liked this book, but not as much as I thought I would. It was very gory in some parts, which really didn't bother me though I think it would somne people. It was interesting and did have some information you definitely won't find anywhere else.

Thanks for including me in the ring!
I'm off to the post office to send it along to quico in Portugal.

Journal Entry 8 by quico from Coimbra (cidade), Coimbra Portugal on Monday, July 10, 2006
Safely arrived.
Thanks to zeena666 for sharing, and to dietcokemama for sending it!

Journal Entry 9 by quico from Coimbra (cidade), Coimbra Portugal on Monday, August 28, 2006
Yes, the book is funny, well written and very well researched. My only problem with it was that my curiosity about the subject would be perfectly satisfied with a shorter piece of writing.

Journal Entry 10 by quico from Coimbra (cidade), Coimbra Portugal on Friday, September 01, 2006
And here it goes to myntti in Finland!

Journal Entry 11 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
The book arrived today. Thank you, quico.
***

Fascinating book. I liked the humor, because it softened the impact of the more gruesome sections.

****
15.11.2006
Waiting for keithneese's address. I'll send another PM in a couple of days.

1.12.2006
I haven't heard back from keithneese. I'll send the book to morpha on Monday.

21.12.2006
I mailed the book to morpha today.
My apologies for the delay - I've been rather busy for the past few weeks.

Journal Entry 12 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
No problem for the delay myntti and thanks for the card!

The book arrived safely last week. I just finished it today. It's a pretty good nonfiction book that can overcome my short attention span to the point that I couldn't put down the book.

Here's a quote from a review of the book that more or less agrees with how I feel about "Stiff."

"'Uproariously funny' dosen't seem a likely description for a book on cadavers. However Roach...has done the nearly impossible and written a book as informative and respectful as it is irreverent and witty."

I did not find this book to be lol funny, but it is humorous nonetheless. I am one of those silly people that cares more about animals than I do about other human beings. I was more disturbed by the experimentation on animals than by anything that was experienced by the cadavers.

I think Mary would be a great friend and I would love to be a fly on the wall when she "breaks the ice" at a party. :-)

Journal Entry 13 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007
tranq1 has asked to be skipped. I have PM'd iamlovable33 and am waiting for response.

Journal Entry 14 by morpha from Astoria, Oregon USA on Thursday, April 12, 2007
iamlovable33 never responded to PM's. I mailed the book to Flaming-Ice on 02/08/2007, but got the package back last week with a sticker on it that says, "Return to sender, service temporarily suspended." I will now attempt to contact AmyMS88. This seems to be one of those books that I just can't get rid of!

Journal Entry 15 by AmyMS88 from Wolfe City, Texas USA on Monday, April 30, 2007
Received today. Will read ASAP and get it out to the next person. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by AmyMS88 at Little Free Library in Commerce, Texas USA on Saturday, January 02, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/2/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library in Commerce, Texas USA

Inside the LFL

Sorry I have had this for so long.