Perdita: The Life of Mary Robinson

by Paula Byrne | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by Caro1 of Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 6/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Caro1 from Newark On Trent, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2005
Sex, fame and scandal in the theatrical, literary and social circles of late-eighteenth century England. One of the most flamboyant women of the late-eighteenth century, Mary Robinson's life was marked by reversals of fortune. After being raised by a middle-class father, Mary was married, at age fourteen, to Thomas Robinson. His dissipated lifestyle landed the couple and their baby in debtors' prison, where Mary wrote her first book of poetry and met lifelong friend Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire. On her release, Mary quickly became one of the most popular actresses of the day, famously playing Perdita in The Winter's Tale for a rapt audience that included the Prince of Wales, who fell madly in love with her. She later used his copious love letters for blackmail. This authoritative and engaging book presents a fascinating portrait of a woman who was variously darling of the London stage, a poet whose work was admired by Coleridge and a mistress to the most powerful men in England, and yet whose fortunes were nevertheless precarious, always on the brink of being squandered through recklessness, excess and passion.

Very disappointing. Mary Robinson was, without doubt, an extremely interesting and colourful figure, but this book fails to do justice to her story. The author flags up forthcoming information, continually repeats herself and includes so many quotes that the reader loses the plot altogether. A definite thumbs down from my reading group.

Released 13 yrs ago (9/10/2005 UTC) at Showroom Cinema Cafe Bar in Sheffield, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

To be passed to fellow BXer ReetPetite.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 10, 2005
Thanks Caro1

Journal Entry 4 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 26, 2007
I read 'Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire' by Amanda Foreman years ago & Mary Robinson must have been in it but I didn't know who she was. Now I know. It seemed to be a good time for female authors. It was interesting how the newspapers made up stories about her, some things don't change.
The book did drag at times but I wasn't aware of repetition. I would recommend it to someone who'd read 'Georgiana'.

Thanks Caro1.

Posted to ragsrobin who has it on their wishlist

Journal Entry 5 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, August 10, 2007
The book arrived a couple of days ago, and I''ve already started reading. Progress is somewhat slow, as it''s my "nursing book" (I''m _really_ reading another book, but it''s too heavy to hold comfortably in one hand and so can''t be read while nursing the baby). Thanks for passing it on to me, ReetPetite - I''ve got "Georgina" somewhere, but haven''t read it, must locate it once I''ve finished with Perdita.

Journal Entry 6 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, February 03, 2008
I have to agree with Caro1 on the "more of that later"s and the repetition and I think Mary probably deserves better, but I still (mostly) enjoyed the read and learnt a lot - knowing next to nothing about Mrs Robinson on beforehand. I think I will see if someone else has this on their wishlist, as it's not a book designed for wild release, really...

(A longer ramble can be found on my bookblog: http://www.sandlund.net/bookblog/?p=223)

Journal Entry 7 by mirthful from Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Sent it off to Finland yesterday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 11, 2008
Arrived today in Finland and made my wife's day! She came down with a bad flu this weekend, and cannot get out of bed at all, but manages to read books ;-)

Thanks for cheering up her Monday like this!

ps. this ends up on my bookshelf, although teddyke reads it ;-) ... she doesn't make it to the computer :-(

Journal Entry 9 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, July 05, 2009
Teddyke read the book by now, still is ill though so doing the journal entry for her.

Was a bit hard to get into the book at first, but if you keep up it gets interesting and you sort of want to know the end!

Journal Entry 10 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/12/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Helsinki meetup 12.07.2011
----------------------------------
The book is going to another bookcrossing member during the gathering in the Café on the fifth floor of the local department store.
Have fun reading!

Journal Entry 11 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, July 13, 2011
The only Perdita I've known so far was in the Hundred and One Dalmatians. Looking forward to meeting her human namesake.

Journal Entry 12 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, November 22, 2011
I've quite a pile on my tbr shelf, so lent this to my old friend Elisabeth, 73, who often likes the same books I do. Will journal her thoughts later, as E. goes nowhere near computers.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 23, 2011
Elisabeth didn't finish the book. Although being kept was common at that time as well as having lovers / mistresses (like both spouses of family Robinson had), it didn't make enjoyable reading.

Journal Entry 14 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, December 23, 2011
Perdita and her lovers are back, waiting their turn.

Journal Entry 15 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/2/2014 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Perdita is becoming restless just sitting in my bookshelf as she is used to admirers. To be honest, I think she wants to go to bed with somebody and the queue to my bed is still very long (Don Camillo being my current partner).
Joika up in the far north is a member of the Birthday Group and says she likes historical novels. She is in luck, Taavina is coming to Helsinki tomorrow and has promised to take a whole load of books up up up as far as Oulu. The question is: Can Joika resist temptation until the end of July?? Happy birthday anyway!

Journal Entry 16 by Joika at Kiiminki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, June 10, 2014
Ha haw, I didn't quite make it till the end of July! :D Today I just lost it and opened the parcel kirjakko sent me. This book was a total surprise for me but a favourable one! I like these kinds of books and I had to check if I have this book on my wishlist because it could very well have been! Thank you kirjakko and all those who have passed along this book.

Journal Entry 17 by Joika at Kiiminki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, March 21, 2015
Oh, to visit a theatre on the eighteenth century England, I just wish that time machines would really exist. The book says the theatre atmosphere at the time was "boisterous, voluble and interactive", very different from today's. I would have loved seeing Perdita on stage.

I didn't know who she was but luckily not so many others did either and also the writer comforted me in the beginning with the fact that this often is the case. I quite enjoyed the story and it would certainly be good material for a film (if there is none about her?) but the style of the writer was a bit distracting. There were so many details and in my opinion unnecessary information. Perhaps some scholars would get more from this. A whole lot of people involved, too, and quite small circles those days. But I just love this era and the milieu. Just waiting for my trip to England.. where this book will probably be released. :)

Journal Entry 18 by Joika at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 06, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (4/11/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

To the BC Convention.