American Gods

by Neil Gaiman | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winglunaciawing of Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on 6/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by winglunaciawing from Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, June 13, 2005
After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the time until his release ticks away, he can feel a storm brewing. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together, they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But the storm is about to break...

Excellent and amusing book!

Journal Entry 2 by winglunaciawing at - By Hand in Given To A Friend, Friend -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 13, 2005

Released 16 yrs ago (6/13/2005 UTC) at - By Hand in Given To A Friend, Friend -- Controlled Releases

Chickxsy

Journal Entry 3 by Chickxsy from Grorud bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, June 13, 2005
Borrowed from my good friend Lunacia, looking forward to another good Neil Gaiman book!

Journal Entry 4 by winglunaciawing from Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, August 19, 2005
Given back.

Journal Entry 5 by winglunaciawing at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, July 24, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (7/24/2008 UTC) at -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway

I'm lending this book to jedy, as I think he should read Neil Gaiman. He is to give it back when he's read it. :)

Journal Entry 6 by jedy from -- wild release somewhere in Oslo, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, July 24, 2008
I recived this book from Lunacia today. I look forward to read this book. Neil Gaiman is a great author.

Journal Entry 7 by winglunaciawing from Grünerløkka bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Book is at home.

Journal Entry 8 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, July 9, 2013
BOOKRING

This book wants to travel! Please...
...make a journal entry when the book arrives, to let us know it's safe.
...read the book within 4-5 weeks.
...when you have read the book, PM the next on the list for their address.
...send the book off to the person next on list.
...be sure to make a controlled release note. This is to include the place you send it from.

Happy reading!

Participants:
- sota48 (Norway)
- Haugtussa (Norway)
- Anna-Lin (Sweden)
- Nordpirat (Sweden)
- mspeel (Switzerland)
- QueenSissi (Portugal)
- Ftarazu (Portugal) (Will ship INTL)
- LilyKlip (Germany) (will ship INTL)
- Merolia (Greece)
- greenbadger (UK) (will ship INTL)
- RonOren (UK) (Will ship INTL)
- lamelemon (Romania) (Will ship INTL) <- The book is here!
- Back to lunacia!

REMEMBER to make a controlled release note. This is to include the place you send it from.

Journal Entry 9 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (7/17/2013 UTC) at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway

The book was sent off to sota48. Knowing she's a Neil Gaiman fan, I hope she'll enjoy this book just as much as the other books.

(By the way, this is actually a new copy of the book, as I'm too attached to my other copy. I therefore switched the book, the original book will stay with me.)

Journal Entry 10 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Thursday, July 18, 2013
The book was in the post today. Looking forward to read this assuredly good Neil Gaiman novel. Thanks!!

Journal Entry 11 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Being an ardent Neil Gaiman fan I was looking forward to read this novel. And it is a great novel! Had my knowledge of mythology been better, I suppose I would have enjoyed the novel even more.

Journal Entry 12 by wingsota48wing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (8/22/2013 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

The book is on its way to Haugtussa.

Journal Entry 13 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, August 24, 2013
The book is with me. I seem to be Reading rather a lot of Neil Gaiman these days - the question which remains to be answered is: Do I like him?

Journal Entry 14 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, October 6, 2013
I don't know if I dare to meet lunacia after this... but I cave in! This book bores me, I'd rather clean the house than read! (And that it saying quite a bit).

I have really tried, but I'm not getting anywhere.
It's a bit sad actually because I'm trying to decide whether I like Gaiman as an author or not, and I've recently read some of his other work (has to be said that they were probably intended for youth) and now this book brought me back to square one.

Well, you may have a go at me the next time we meet, but this book is not my Rosie Lee!

Journal Entry 15 by Anna-Lin at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Saturday, October 26, 2013
The book arrived a few days ago. I look forward to reading it. I haven´t read much by Gaiman so far, mostly his graphic novels.

I´m finished and I liked it a lot! A sort of gory fairytale which made me long to continue reading and captured me all along until the end. Will pass it on to Nordpirat as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 16 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, November 21, 2013
Just received from Anna-Lin at a brief meeting in person.
Nice seeing you! :-)

Journal Entry 17 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Saturday, December 7, 2013
This book was not entirely to my liking, though it wasn't entirely to my disliking either.
I think it's in many ways ingenious and as far as I can tell Gaiman has done a good research job with different mythologies.
But there are things in the story that does not really appeal to me. I can't put my finger on all of the aspects I feel I like less. But one of them is definitely that it's too american.
I can see that much of the hole point in this story is the americanisation of the gods, but I still don't really like it.
Gaiman is a fine story teller though and at times his language is really poetic and beautiful.

Released 8 yrs ago (12/7/2013 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden

American Gods continues Tour de Europe.
Off it goes...

Journal Entry 19 by wingMrsPeelwing at Therwil, Baselland Switzerland on Thursday, December 12, 2013
I just got it in the mail. Going to start it right away!
--caught in Therwil Switzerland December 12, 2013--

I really enjoyed the book, but don't really know what to say about it. Its kind of strange and dark and interesting. The Minnesota subplot could have been a very good book on its own. I think you'd have to read it a few times to make all the conections. I kept googling each new person's characteristics to figure out what god they were!

Thank you so much lunacia for sharing, and so sorry I took so long to journal and release it!

Journal Entry 20 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Monday, June 2, 2014
The book arrived last week but I forgot to write... Thank you!

Journal Entry 21 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Monday, December 22, 2014
It took me while to get in the mood to read it and it took me too long. I had to leave it and then come back to it... Overall I found it very good but hard to digest it!

Thanks for sharing. Sent PM to FTzaru and hope to send it soon!

Journal Entry 22 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Was in my mailbox yesterday and ts next in my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 23 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, February 24, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. Sometimes I struggled to continue, but I did like it. It was quite interesting to see the characterization of the gods and the fight between religion and the new electronic “gods”. It is an interesting topic because it’s actually what occurs along times, we are always so dependent on material things…
I liked reading about all the kinds of good, the elephant one, the buffalo head man, etc.
It will be sent to LilyKlip this week.

Journal Entry 24 by Ftarazu at Porto, Porto Portugal on Thursday, March 5, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (3/4/2015 UTC) at Porto, Porto Portugal

Sent to LilyKlip. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 25 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, March 9, 2015
I really liked this although I'm sure there is a lot I missed because there are just too many references to gods and other concepts that I don't know so much about. Some characters were familiar though from the Sandman series. I'll have to read this again someday ;-)

Thanks for sharing this. I contacted the next person and will pass this on soon.

Journal Entry 26 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, April 20, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (4/20/2015 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

On its way to Greece. Safe travels!

Journal Entry 27 by Merolia at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece on Thursday, May 7, 2015
With me now, thank you for sending!

Journal Entry 28 by Merolia at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece on Saturday, June 6, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (6/4/2015 UTC) at Halandri - Χαλάνδρι, Attica Greece

I remember complaining about other Gaiman stories being too short. Well, this was very long indeed -partly the reason it took me so long to read. Although a bit tiring at times, I have to say I enjoyed it very much. The writing is great, with many lively characters, powerful images and emotional moments. The best quality for me was the way every subplot was tied in and brought to a conclusion so neatly. I too may have lost many of the references, however some that I understood were very clever. Thank you lunacia for introducing me to this new world.

Carmendoran asked to be skipped so the book is heading to greenbadger. It went on the post a few days ago.

Journal Entry 29 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 13, 2015
The book has arrived, thank you very much!

Journal Entry 30 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Shadow thinks when he is released from prison that he'll go back to his wife and his old job, but the gods intervene. Specifically, the old gods, who have travelled to America along with the immigrants over the years. Gaiman's use of mythology is very clever, making me wish I knew more. A good read though the complicated plot and large cast of characters are quite hard to keep track of.

Journal Entry 31 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 9, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (7/9/2015 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

Sent to RonOren who is next inthe ring. Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 32 by RonOren at Stockwell, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 21, 2015
This arrived last weekend, but I kept forgetting to journal it. Apologies for the delay and thanks for sending it through, greenbadger!

By now I'm halfway through the book; I won't say too much just yet, just that I'm still a bit confused by the plot lines. Hopefully all will have cleared up by the end. More JE to follow soon(ish).

Journal Entry 33 by RonOren at Stockwell, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 26, 2015
I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. It's got familiar Neil Gaiman set-up of a mystical world interweaved with our bog-standard regular world, much like Neverwhere and Stardust have. But it's far less funny and less of a rollicking read: it's not just that American Gods is darker than the other Gaimans (though it is, far more so), it's more a different feel to it. Like Gaiman has grown up, wised-up and become a bit bitter; then pulled his tongue out of his cheek and wrote a proper, grown-up novel about the state of the world. Sort of. Almost.

Having said all that, I liked Shadow as a character. And I liked the idea of the old Gods coming over to America with the various waves of immigrants, but struggling to grow roots in its ever-changing society. I can't say I liked the description of most Gods; but then, that's probably the whole point of the book.

All in all, this is not nearly my favourite Gaiman, but it's certainly a good read. I'm glad I had a chance to read it, so thanks for sharing Lunacia! I've got lamelemon's address and will send the book on in the next few days.

Journal Entry 34 by RonOren at Stockwell, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (7/28/2015 UTC) at Stockwell, Greater London United Kingdom

Sent to lamelemon to continue the ring. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 35 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, August 8, 2015
Safely received with thanks. What a well traveled book and what a fancy bunch of bookcrossers it brought along. Hope everyone is having a pleasant summer :) I still have one and a half books to read before this one, but I'm in a pretty good reading phase, so it shouldn't be long before it's on the road again. Cheers!

Journal Entry 36 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (11/4/2015 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

Somehow I made it to 28 without reading Gaiman, what a loss. I loved American Gods and I happened to watch Coraline a couple of weeks ago, so now the fandom has a new member. Every loose end neatly fits together, the mythology is impressive and the plot has a really neat pace. I can't underline my favourite parts without giving away important plot points, so if you happen to stumble across this book, go read it and we'll talk later.

Thank you so much for the opportunity. I have posted the book back to lunacia this evening, hope it arrives swift and safe.

Journal Entry 37 by winglunaciawing at Sandnes, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, November 12, 2015
The book is back with me. :-)

Journal Entry 38 by winglunaciawing at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Friday, December 11, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (12/11/2015 UTC) at Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

Mailed off to zurpuz.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 39 by zurpuz at Drammen, Buskerud fylke Norway on Saturday, December 19, 2015
Received the book from Lunacia. My first bookcrossing.