Untitled : A Booklover's Mystery (Booklover's Mysteries)

by Julie Kaewert | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Ally1665 of Silsden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 6/13/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Ally1665 from Silsden, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2005
This looks a good series.

Journal Entry 2 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, August 10, 2006
Thanks for sending, arrived today.

Journal Entry 3 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, October 29, 2006
From Publishers Weekly

The discovery of an extremely rare, 15th-century book leads to murder and international intrigue in Kaewert's (Unprintable) latest contemporary mystery featuring publisher and rare-book collector Alex Plumtree. The medieval book, which details the lives of the knights who protected King Richard the Lion-Heart and which was believed to have been destroyed by Edward IV, is immediatetly stolen after Alex finds it hidden in his family library. Meanwhile, the Foxburghe Club in Cornwall, an exclusive society of book collectors whose membership primarily consists of nobility, surprises Alex by inviting him to join. Curious, he agrees, but the honor quickly fades; Alex's initiation weekend at a medieval castle in Cornwall turns sour with the death of a club member, compounded by his mounting suspicion that one of the elite book collectors stole the ancient tome. Alex is determined to ferret out the thief (and in the process discovers that the book has a deadly secret). No one, including the prime minister and the archbishop of Canterbury, is above suspicion. Alex is an engaging and often comic hero, and he is supported by wonderful secondary characters. The plot is complicated and occasionally confusing, but in the end, the charming characters and the suspenseful race to find the book hold readers' attention. (Nov.)

Journal Entry 4 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Friday, November 3, 2006
In the fourth in the series, Alex Plumtree is invited (and accepts)to join the Dibdin Club. Once again, Alex is caught up in the world of under cover book problems going back generations. Another page turner in the series.

Journal Entry 5 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 7, 2006
Offered as a book Spiral

Participants: (order change subject to change due to georgraphy)

EUROPE -
menalima

UK -
Mytilus
akg
Scotsbookie (surface mail OK)
WelshHelen (Int OK)
platypussj
Cross-patch (surface mail OK)

AUSTRALIA -
amberC
DrCris (Int OK)

USA -
blackadder75 (USA & Canada OK)
clawdette
NMReader
babsdotter
Rrrcaron
.....back to AnglersRest

NOW CLOSED

Spiral Rules (Adapted from psychjo & Kleptokitty)

1) Everybody should leave a journal entry when receiving the book and after the read! Please let us all know what you think about it...
2)Please keep the status of the spiral upto date at the Forum
3) Also PM the next person on the list for a mailing address and when that person doesn't answer
within 7 days MAX! please PM the one after...
4) Everybody should also try to read the book soon (max - approx one month)
5) You can send the book via surface mail or airmail - that is completely up to you.
6) If you find you don't have the time to read it when it's your turn please PM and I'll move you to a later slot.

Journal Entry 6 by menalima on Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Received book today, reading it straight away:)

Journal Entry 7 by menalima on Thursday, March 22, 2007
Finished this one and like the others before...it's great! Have mailed akg to ask for address:)

Journal Entry 8 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 4, 2007
Arrived today. Am looking forward to starting this over the weekend.

Journal Entry 9 by Mytilus from Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 10, 2007
I must say, Alex’s adventures are certainly increasing in (international) scope!

Again, Kaewert leads us on a hugely entertaining, if increasingly implausible, escapade. The plot holes are present, and gosh, they are huge. There’s little that I can say without giving substantial swathes of plot away – so I shan’t!

Kaewert’s real gift lies in creating a great story. I can (and do!) note the many failings, but I want to read more. And that, I guess, is the real trick of becoming a successful author.

Bring on the next book!

Journal Entry 10 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 14, 2007
This arrived with unprintable on Thursday. I have finished unprintable and will hopefully post it on next week. I am planning to read at least one other book before starting on this book to ensure the spiral is working as separate books again.

Journal Entry 11 by akg from Didcot, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 15, 2007
I posted this on yesterday.

I really enjoyed this book. I think I enjoyed it more than the previous book because it was mainly based in one location so didn't seem quite so hectic, although of course it was. The author didn't disappoint me with yet another special book group which Alex is invited to join which leads to another discovery about his family.

I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

Journal Entry 12 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 17, 2007
Arrived safely today, thank you akg. #2 on Mount TBR

Journal Entry 13 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Sorry, I have got behind with doing JEs, I finished reading this a while ago!

More capers with Alex who continues to find out more about his families past. I enjoyed the setting of this book & look forward to reading more.

Will send on to WelshHelen in the next few days.

Journal Entry 14 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 25, 2007
Popped in the post to WelshHelen this morning.

Journal Entry 15 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Arrived safely today - thanks, Scotsbookie. I'm just getting to the end of the previous one so I'll read a couple of other ring books befoer this one but should get to it fairly soon.

Journal Entry 16 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, September 2, 2007
I'm afraid that I've given up both on this book and the rest of the series. I read about 80 pages, went away on holiday and forgot to take it with me and when I came back I just couldn't get back into the story. Considering that Alex has irritated me snce the first book, I suppose I should really have given up before now!

Many thanks to AnglersRest for giving me the chance to read this series, though :-) I have platypussj's address and will post on to her in the next couple of days.

Journal Entry 17 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Posted to platypussj yesterday.

Journal Entry 18 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Arrived safely last week. I have already started reading this but will make a proper entry when I've finished.

Journal Entry 19 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, April 5, 2008
I finished this one ages ago, I must be confused because I'm surprised there isn't a journal entry from me here. Maybe I'm confusing it with an e-mail.

However, thoroughly enjoying this series, part of me really would like to live in the sort of England that Alex Plumtree lives in (without the life-threatening mysteries every five minutes!). I forgive Kaewert everything because these books are such a fun read. Thanks again AnglersRest.

I haven't sent this anywhere as yet, I'm actually wondering who I should contact - it is Crosspatch isn't it? I also still have its predecessor with me as I was waiting for caffy to catch up before I sent her more. Therefore, I still have 3 & 4 and will now contact crosspatch tomorrow.

Journal Entry 20 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Glad you enjoyed this one. Yes the next person is cross-patch.

Journal Entry 21 by platypussj from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, November 9, 2008
Sending to Crosspatch on Tuesday.

Journal Entry 22 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 22, 2008
Arrived with 'Unprintable' Thank you.

Journal Entry 23 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 15, 2009
You wouldn't believe it, but what does that matter. This is a good old-fashioned romp through a world out of Chum's Annuals. Loved it. I shall post it on with Unprintable to DrCris tomorrow.

I shall be interested to see what good old Alex gets up to in the next volume.

Journal Entry 24 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Arrived just as I sent on the last ones. I will get to it soon, hopefully.

Journal Entry 25 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
This one was very amusing. More family secrets, secret societies and hidden agendas. I'm not sure what world Kaewert lives in, but it is amusing. I found this one intriguing. I guess, I let go of trying to make it plausible, and just went with the flow.

Blackadder75 has asked to be skipped for this series, so I will contact Clawdette and get these two moving again.

Journal Entry 26 by DrCris at on Thursday, March 26, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (3/26/2009 UTC) at

Sent on its way today, via surface. Happy travels, books

Journal Entry 27 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Friday, April 3, 2009
recieved 4/2/09 will journal when read

Journal Entry 28 by clawdette from Houma, Louisiana USA on Thursday, May 7, 2009
released to NMReader on 5/5/09...another great read!

sorry, journaled the wrong one last month...releasing this one today..sorry for the confusion..was in the middle of a move

Journal Entry 29 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 25, 2009
I remember journaling this one and Unprintable but there is no entry from me doing that. They are on mount TBR and will be read and mailed as soon as I can get to them

Journal Entry 30 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, November 6, 2009
If you just look at it as fun and not something plausible this is a good read. If you try to make it work as real-life it falls apart.

I have enjoyed this series so far. I wonder if we will be seeing Unsigned and Uncatalogued. I hope so.

I finally was able to finish this book and will plan to send on with the 3rd book.

Journal Entry 31 by NMReader at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (11/12/2009 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

This book is on its way with book 3

delivery confirmation number: 0309 1130 0001 5518 2509

Journal Entry 32 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Friday, November 20, 2009
arrived today along with book 3. Thank you. It's next in line for me.

Journal Entry 33 by babsdotter at Sparta, Missouri USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2012
I read a couple of these "booklover's mysteries". They're cute and what book lover can resist the book references. It's going into a traveling mystery box.

Journal Entry 34 by affinity4books at Bryan, Texas USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012
This came home in my Cozy Mystery Box. Thanks for sharing! I may include it in the next round of the box or share it with another BCer.

My mom likes this series and I have been meaning to give it a try. wow, what a well-travelled book!

Is this still part of the spiral? If so I can mail it to whoever is next if they are in the US.

Journal Entry 35 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, July 29, 2012
Pulled this out of Affinity4books' cozy mystery bookbox. I love trying different series. Although I've heard of this series, I don't think I've ever seen any of these before. I'm looking forward to reading this, but AnglersRest if it's supposed to come back to you please pm me. Thanks for sharing, guys!

Journal Entry 36 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

MaryZee had a lot of books on her BC shelves when she passed. I am planning on sharing most of them with other locals. But I am hanging on to a few that might be more appropriate for other distribution methods. From the looks of it, this might be a good fit if I revive the Bookish Book Box.

Journal Entry 37 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, October 12, 2019

Released 2 yrs ago (10/12/2019 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is part of the Bookish Book Box being circulated in memory of MaryZee, who was a passionate Bookcrosser and sadly died in September 2012. Hopefully it will cross the path of someone who will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 38 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 7, 2020
I pulled this from 6of8’s BookishBookBox in memory of MaryZee, and read it this weekend.
Incredibly implausible, but what a fun romp! Thoroughly enjoyable!!

And what a fabulous traveling history~ makes me long for the days when we could afford to send books willy-nilly around the globe~ heck, we sent boxes! Sigh...those days are long gone. Now buying a book from BWB is the third the cost of sending one of my own.

I don’t know yet if I find a bookcrosser who would like to read this, or if I’ll simply release it into a nearby little free library. (If a finder bothers to look) the grand history of this book might intrigue one to look further into bookcrossing...

Journal Entry 39 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, June 7, 2020
Incredibly implausible, but what a fun romp! Thoroughly enjoyable!!

Journal Entry 40 by erishkigal at LFL 1900 East & Garfield in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Released 1 yr ago (6/10/2020 UTC) at LFL 1900 East & Garfield in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

I left this well-traveled book in a nearby LFL to find a new reader.

🙂Welcome to Bookcrossing 🙂

I hope you enjoy the book, and also that you take the time to look around the site a little… It’s a great place where book lovers around the world gather😊