The Old Man and the Sea

by Ernest Hemingway | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Eilan86 on 6/12/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Eilan86 on Sunday, June 12, 2005
The Old Man and the Sea was published 1952 after the bleakest ten years in Hemingway's literary career. His last major work, Across the River and into the Trees, was condemned as unintentional self-parody, and people began to think that Hemingway had exhausted his store of ideas. Santiago's story was originally conceived as part of a larger work, including material that later appeared in Islands in the Stream. This larger work, which Hemingway referred to as "The Sea Book," was proving difficult, and when Hemingway received positive reviews of the Santiago story, known then as "The Sea in Being," he decided to allow it to be published independently. He wrote to publisher Charles Scribner in October 1951, "This is the prose that I have been working for all my life that should read easily and simply and seem short and yet have all the dimensions of the visible world and the world of man's spirit. It is as good prose as I can write as of now." The Old Man and the Sea, published in its entirety in one edition of Life magazine, was an instant success. In two days the September 1st edition of Life sold 5,300,000 copies and the book version sold 153,000. The novella soared to the top of the best-seller list and remained there for six months. At first, critical reception was warm. Many hailed it as Hemingway's best work, and no less than William Faulkner said, "Time may show it to be the best single piece of any of us, I mean his and my contemporaries." Others, however, complained of artificiality in the characterization and excess sentimentality. Despite these detractors, The Old Man and the Sea was awarded the 1953 Pulitizer Prize and American Academy of Arts and Letters' Award of Merit Medal for the Novel and played a significant role in Hemingway's selection for the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1954. For the first fifteen or so years after its publication, critical response remained largely positive. Since the mid-60's, however, the work has received sustained attacks from realist critics who decry the novella's unrealistic or simply incorrect elements, e.g. the alleged eight rows of teeth in the mako's mouth or the position of the star Riegel. Through the 1970's the book became less and less the subject of serious literary criticism, and the view of the book as embarrassingly narcissistic, psychologically simplistic, and overly sentimental became more and more entrenched. While The Old Man and the Sea is popularly beloved and assigned reading for students in the US and around the world, critical opinion places it among Hemingway's less significant works.

Journal Entry 2 by Eilan86 at Book Relay in Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 27, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (6/27/2005 UTC) at Book Relay in Book Relay, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

To Lauraloo as a relay!

Journal Entry 3 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 06, 2005
Arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by lauraloo29 from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 25, 2009
I'm planning on sending this out as a bookray.

Rules: Not many. Please journal the book's arrival and departure. And please keep it moving by keeping it no longer than 4 weeks. The last person is free to release the book as they wish.

1. fairy-whispers - Australia (Aus only)
2. cat207 - Australia (Intl)
3. stubee - UK (would prefer to be last)

Starting its journey on February 7th.

Journal Entry 5 by seldombites from Bridgewater, South Australia Australia on Sunday, February 22, 2009
Dancing Flowers Thanks

G'day,

Just checking in to let you know I am safe and sound. I am having a nice visit with fairy-whispers before continuing on my travels. I hope you’re having as much fun as I am!

With Great Affection,

Your Book :-)

Journal Entry 6 by seldombites from Bridgewater, South Australia Australia on Monday, March 30, 2009
Wow. That's all I could think when I finished this story. Wow. The language was just beautiful. The themes that played out in the old man's mind, and in his struggle with the sea, are ones that resonate with all of us. Courage in the face f adversity, the struggle to tame nature or to simply to survive and the determination to succeed are all themes we can relate to. As is the spectre of our aging bodies being unequal to the tasks at hand. The Old Man and the Sea is a sad story that will easily withstand the ravages of time.

Journal Entry 7 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you fairy-whispers, and lauraloo29 for sharing.
I have four ahead of this one and haven't had much reading time of late, but I'll do my best. I'm sure stubee won't mind if it's longer than four weeks.

Journal Entry 8 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, April 27, 2009
I actually read this in the bath - and I wasn't worried about sharks!

A quick and very dramatic read.

Will send on to stubee later in the week.

Journal Entry 9 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Off to stubee in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 10 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 05, 2009
It has arrived, thanks cat207 for sending my way and to lauraloo29 for organising this ray! I've just started another book today but I'll get onto this shortly.

EDIT: 16th May - started today; this is my first Hemingway so I'm quite excited.

EDIT: 17th May - I read this in two sitting's it's a short and gripping story, and a wonderful read. An introspective tale of the thoughts of an old fisherman whilst out alone (not) lost for days as he struggles with the dangers around him. A great tale and I’m glad to have finally read some of Hemingway’s work…

I will be passing this onto KT-J to read shorthly.

Next Up: Salman Rushdie - Grimus

Journal Entry 11 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Received from Stubee when he returns from London. I've got a couple of books to finish but I'm hoping to read this soon. Although as I'm currently reading The Swarm I'm not sure how soon I'll want to read another sea-based book!

Journal Entry 12 by KT-J from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 25, 2009
I really enjoyed this short story. The language was very evocative detailing the thoughts of the old man and the reflections on life and growing old. A sad tale, but well worth reading.

Thanks lauraloo29 for sharing this. I'm sure Stubee will have a plan for this book at some point so it's going back onto our bookshelf for now!

Journal Entry 13 by stubee from Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2009
I’m just catching this back while I make plans for the next part of its bookcrossing adventure.

Journal Entry 14 by stubee at Wakefield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 25, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/25/2010 UTC) at Wakefield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

On its way to Shnedwards as part of the 1001+ VBB at bookobsessed.com!

Journal Entry 15 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2010
It's here! Thanks again stubee. Wow, this book has travelled a long way so far. Will make sure it moves on soon.

Journal Entry 16 by wingshnedwardswing at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (6/27/2014 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

To give to wyldetwo for the Bookcrossing stall at Moseley Festival.

Journal Entry 17 by wyldetwo at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, June 30, 2014
This book is destined for the BookCrossing stall at the Moseley Festival Street Fair - all day on July 5th. More details here http://www.moseleyfestival.org.uk/

Released 6 yrs ago (7/5/2014 UTC) at Moseley Village - Mozfest Stall in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

I am releasing this book to the book table at the Moseley Festival Street Fair on July 5th.

If this is your first experience with BookCrossing, thanks so much for picking up this book and coming to the BookCrossing website to find out what it's all about. Welcome to the addictive world of BookCrossing!

I look forward to hearing what you thought of this book, and of your plans for it.