The Hamilton Case (MeetUp Release)

by Michelle de Kretser | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1740511972 Global Overview for this book
Registered by LeafOfHumanTree of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 6/11/2005
Journal Entry 1 by LeafOfHumanTree from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, June 11, 2005
The Hamilton Case is a multi-layered novel; it is a murder mystery, an intimate portrait of a dysfunctional family, a commentary on society and the fall-out created by colonialism, as well as a commentary on the nature of narrative itself. As in Michelle de Kretser’s previous novel, The Rose Grower, the narrative sweeps you into the lives of characters whose presence is palpable, but the intricate character details are always informed by wry insights into the larger social forces at work. The novel is set in exotic Ceylon (Sri Lanka); as one of the characters says, “call up a monsoon or the rustle of a sari, and watch [the reader] salivate”.

Brought up to be more English than the bally English, ambitious Ceylonese lawyer Sam yearns to be accepted by the establishment, the English colonial administration in Ceylon. When tea plantation owner Angus Hamilton is murdered and a trial takes place, Sam sees his opportunity to play Sherlock Holmes and make his name. The accused man, however, is an Englishman and Ceylonese Tamils are suspects. The trial takes place against a backdrop of ethnic tensions, rising nationalism, and the withdrawal of the English from Ceylon, threatening to end in a bloodbath. Meanwhile, as Sam’s troubled family history unravels, we realise that there is another ‘whodunit’ mystery to solve. The misunderstandings between the family members are poignant and humorous in the blackest of ways. Michelle de Kretser skillfully portrays the silences, resentment, jealousy, fears and longings that can exist within a family.

Whoever picks up this book from me at our Sydney MeetUp is lucky indeed! (I have my own copy; no-one's prising it from my hands.)

Journal Entry 2 by servalan from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Wah! I have added another book to Mt. TBR. Thanks LeafOfHumanTree!

Released 10 yrs ago (8/13/2011 UTC) at Dalgety Square Apartments Library, 99 Jones St in Ultimo, New South Wales Australia

Releasing for someone else to enjoy.