Charlotte Gray

by Sebastian Faulks | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Pikerama of Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 6/9/2005
Journal Entry 1 by Pikerama from Royston, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 09, 2005
A truly dreadful book! I simply can't understand why Sebastian Faulks is meant to be such a good writer, but just read the drivelling reviews on the back cover.
You know how, when writing effective fiction, you're supposed to "show" and not "tell"? Well, Faulks tells you. He tells you in minute detail, exactly what she's thinking and how she's feeling. Then he tells you in a slightly different way. Then, just in case you haven't got the idea, he goes through it again.
The story's OK, but considering its war setting, it isn't half as dramatic as it could be. You keep thinking something really, really bad is about to happen....and then it doesn't. Oh, yes, a few people get killed, but it's all at a distance.
I also found Charlotte a particularly difficult character to believe in - little about her rang true.
Did you like it? Go on, disagree with me!

Released 14 yrs ago (7/10/2005 UTC) at Old Bell Hotel, Abbey Row in Malmesbury, Wiltshire United Kingdom

On a bookshelf in the delightful old library.
NB This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in!