A Trust Betrayed

by Candace M. Robb | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 6/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
Picked this up at the Book Thing, for BC.

From the cover -
With meticulously researched detail and uncannily realistic portrayals of a bygone time, Candace Robb "puts the history back into the historical mystery," notes Kirkus Reviews. Her highly praiser Owen Archer series, featuring an intrepid fourteenth-century Welshman, has long captivated readers on both sides of the Atlantic. Now Robb introduces a vivid, lushly conceived new series with a spirited heroine in Scotland during the time of Braveheart and Robert the Bruce.
Dunfermline, 26 April 1297. Margaret Kerr has endured a long, lonely winter, with her heart as cold as the sleet falling on Scotland. Her husband, Roger, has been missing since Martinmas in November, when he rode off to Edinburgh, and Margaret doesn't know if he is still alive. As spring approaches, Jack Sinclair, her husband's young cousin and the factor in his trading business, pledges to find him.
Then Jack's body is carried home from that same fog-shrouded city, his death attributed to a brawl. But Margaret dares to inspect the corpse and discovers that Jack did not die from a simple beating - he was viciously mutilated. Leaving her quiet life as a merchant's daughter, the young, vibrant woman decides to search for her husband and for Jack's killer.
Margaret soon finds herself in a harsh world that is no place for a lone woman. Seeking shelter with her uncle, an innkeeper who is reluctant to have her in his household, Margaret knows her mission will test both her prowess and her loyalties. English troops occupy Edinburgh and Roger's trail leads into a dangerous labyrinth of politics and betrayal.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, July 30, 2012
A mystery set in 13th-century Scotland, Margaret Kerr's husband is missing so she goes in search of him. She goes to her uncle's tavern in Edinburgh. She tries to find him, and when she spots him on the street, is relieved to find that he's still alive. But some other men keep her from reaching him, and she doesn't understand why. This mystery is set during the time of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce, as England is trying to take over Scotland, and there are secrets, lies and betrayals all over the place. No one knows who to trust, and this impedes Margaret in her search for her husband.

For some reason, this mystery didn't really do it for me. I'm not sure why. I love contemporary mysteries (mostly cozies). I recently read the first Brother Cadfael mystery, A Morbid Taste for Bones, and that one didn't do it either. I've have a few others in that series, so will probably try some more. I have another book by this author, but a different series, so at some point I'll probably give that one a try, but I'm not so sure I'll be spending any more time with Margaret Kerr.

This is reserved for Bookstogive, so it'll soon be going off to Tennessee. Hope she enjoys it more than I did.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at A Wishlist RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 02, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/1/2012 UTC) at A Wishlist RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A wishlist tag mailed off to Tennessee today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, August 06, 2012
I received this great book as part of the Wishlist Tag Game, thanks so much for 'tagging' me! I am really looking forward to reading it and then passing it on.