The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Hardcover)

by Mitch Albom | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by snowy652 of Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on 6/7/2005
Journal Entry 1 by snowy652 from Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, June 07, 2005
From Publishers Weekly
"At the time of his death, Eddie was an old man with a barrel chest and a torso as squat as a soup can," writes Albom, author of the bestselling phenomenon Tuesdays with Morrie, in a brief first novel that is going to make a huge impact on many hearts and minds. Wearing a work shirt with a patch on the chest that reads "Eddie" over "Maintenance," limping around with a cane thanks to an old war injury, Eddie was the kind of guy everybody, including Eddie himself, tended to write off as one of life's minor characters, a gruff bit of background color. He spent most of his life maintaining the rides at Ruby Pier, a seaside amusement park, greasing tracks and tightening bolts and listening for strange sounds, "keeping them safe." The children who visited the pier were drawn to Eddie "like cold hands to a fire." Yet Eddie believed that he lived a "nothing" life-gone nowhere he "wasn't shipped to with a rifle," doing work that "required no more brains than washing a dish." On his 83rd birthday, however, Eddie dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life. One by one, these mostly unexpected characters remind him that we all live in a vast web of interconnection with other lives; that all our stories overlap; that acts of sacrifice seemingly small or fruitless do affect others; and that loyalty and love matter to a degree we can never fathom. Simply told, sentimental and profoundly true, this is a contemporary American fable that will be cherished by a vast readership. Bringing into the spotlight the anonymous Eddies of the world, the men and women who get lost in our cultural obsession with fame and fortune, this slim tale, like Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, reminds us of what really matters here on earth, of what our lives are given to us for.

*** This was just as good as Tuesdays with Morrie. I was enchanted with the srory and could barely but the book down. It had a very inspirational message for me and made my heart happy.

I plan to turn this one into a bookray as there are many people wishing for it.

Journal Entry 2 by snowy652 from Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, June 29, 2006
Bookray Guidelines

1. Please journal the book when you recieve it. Then journal it again and let us all know what you thought of the book. Please also inform us when you sent the book to travel to the next person.

2. When you are close to being done the book "PM" the next person in line for their address.

3. Try not to keep the book for longer than 1 month. If you need it longer please inform us and/or ask to be skipped and have your name put further down the list.

4. Most importantly ---- enjoy the book!!!!!

participants:

1. ReetPetite (uk) ~ ~ anywhere
2. longfordmaine (uk) ~ ~ anywhere
3. mariabokmal (Sweden) ~ ~ prefer uk - willing anywhere
4. HeatherBells (uk) ~ ~ prefer uk - willing anywhere -- not responding to pm's - moved further down the list
5. MieLH (denmark) ~ ~ prefer europe - willing anywhere
6. peanutlion (uk) ~ ~ anywhere -- asked to be skipped
7. JudeK (uk) ~ ~ anywhere -- not responding to pm's - moved further down the list
8. Jolanda (Netherlands) ~ ~ anywhere -- not responding to pm's - moved further down the list
9. froggirlwendy (australia) ~ ~ anywhere -- asked to be skipped
10. kazeldya (usa) ~ ~ usa book is here

****The last person on the ray may do whatever they wish with the book -- wild release; continue the ray; ray it forward; rabck, trade, keep it; etc...

Released 14 yrs ago (6/29/2006 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Abbotsford, British Columbia Canada

sent to ReetPetite -- bookray

Journal Entry 4 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 07, 2006
Thanks snowy652 and thanks for the postcard with the lovely view of Vancouver.
I'll start it straight away.

Journal Entry 5 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 09, 2006
I started reading it as soon as I got it and finished it in a day. It's a lovely story, well-written & moving.

Thanks for sharing snowy652. I'll contact longfordmaine for the address.

Journal Entry 6 by rem_VPX-482879 on Monday, August 14, 2006
I just got this book this morning having been away for the past 10 days. If I had been around to see my email, I could have told ReetPetite that I got another copy of this book as a RABCK just before I went away as it was on my wish list. It is a really great book which I thoroughly recommend to all those still on the list. As I have already read it, I will contact the next on the list and get it moving again in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 7 by rem_VPX-482879 at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 24, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (9/25/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sorry about the delay. mariabokmal sent me her details some time ago and I lost them. When I tried again to make contact, I got no reply. However, today I found the email with her address and have put it in the post by Airmail and the Post Office assure me that it should be with her no later than the end of this week.

Journal Entry 8 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Thursday, September 28, 2006
Book arrived today, will try to read it during the weekend!

Journal Entry 9 by Mariabokmal from Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Sunday, October 08, 2006
A very thought-awakening story, that almost made me cry. It can really make you look at your life and see it in a different angle. Even though teh books is about life's big "issues" it's very easy to read.

Since I couldn't contact HeatherBells, I checked with snowy652 and agreed to jump to the next person. (Snowy652 puts HeatherBells on the list further down). So, the book was sent to MieLH October the 19th.

Journal Entry 10 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Wednesday, October 25, 2006
I picked this up at the postoffice yesterday :) Thank you for sending it over - along with a wonderful surprise (...a wishlist-book was sent along with this one -> that's the spirit :D)

Thank you for letting me play along :)

Journal Entry 11 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Monday, October 30, 2006
Woaw, this was a good read :) I rarely feel as captured by a book as I did with this one. It's already being recommended to friends and family. I have only once before given a book 10 clear and bright stars, but this one deserves just that :)

Peanutlion has asked to be skipped and JudeK has not yet answered my PM (sent off friday). I'll give JudeK a week to reply, and then PM the next person on the list.

Update 3rd of nov '06: PM'ed Jolanda today, since JudeK hasn't replied to my PM's
Update 10th of nov '06: PM'ed froggirlwendy today, since Jolanda hasn't replied to my PM's
Update 12th of nov '06: PM'ed kazeldya today, since froggirlwendy asked to be skipped
Update 19th of nov '06: Success!! Shipping book to kazeldya tomorrow :) Thanx for replying and happy reading :)

Journal Entry 12 by kazeldya from Chapel Hill, North Carolina USA on Sunday, March 18, 2007
I received this book in the mail a while ago and have been slack about posting a journal entry. I have misplaced the book in my apartment before reading it, so I'll keep an eye out for it but can't send it on yet.