The Mists of Avalon

by Marion Zimmer Bradley | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CrazyTabasco of Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 6/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Book Description
A Literary Guild Featured Alternate
Here is the magical legend of King Arthur, vividly retold through the eyes and lives of the women who wielded power from behind the throne. A spellbinding novel, an extraordinary literary achievement, THE MISTS OF AVALON will stay with you for a long time to come....

About the Author
Marion Zimmer Bradley began her distinguished book publishing career in 1961 with her first novel, The Door Through Space. The following year she wrote the first book in her hugely popular Darkover series, Sword of Aldones, which soon became a Hugo Award nominee. Bradley's novel The Forbidden Tower was also nominated for a Hugo, and The Heritage of Hastur was nominated for an esteemed Nebula Award.
The Mists of Avalon was the single most successful novel of Bradley's career. It won the 1984 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel and has been among the top five trade paperback books on Locus's bestseller list for years.
Ms. Bradley died in 1999.

Book details
Paperback: 1009 pages; Publisher: Penguin Books (1993); ISBN: 0140177191

Journal Entry 2 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005
I started an international BookRay with this book.

BookRay participants:
1. CrazyTabasco (Germany)
2. ekwerkwe (France)
3. RoryG (Finland)
4. ritao (Finland)
5. yugui (Spain)
6. kert01 (United Kingdom)
7. turquoisefloyd (United Kingdom)
8. jessicaloveyou (Singapore)
9. Free release...

Released 14 yrs ago (8/22/2005 UTC) at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

I will send the book to ekwerkwe at Monday, the 22. August 2005. Enjoy it...

CU... CT

Journal Entry 4 by ekwerkwe from Aix-en-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, September 05, 2005
je l'ai reçu aujourd'hui.
je me suis rendu compte q je l'avais déjà lu, mais c'était il y a longtemps, et en VF. je le relirai avec plaisir!
je le mets au sommet de ma PàL, pour faire suivre le plus vite possible!
merci beaucoup Tab!

i received it today.
i realised i had read it already, but it was a long time ago , and i read it in french.
i place it at the top of Mount TBR, so i can send it forward as soon as possible.
thanks so much Tab!

Journal Entry 5 by ekwerkwe from Aix-en-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Friday, October 14, 2005
I'm sorry I spent more than a month to read it, it's really big and difficult to handle elsewhere than lying flat in my bed!

But i loved it! I'm glad I read it again, actually I had read only the first part, and I did not remind it as I should have, ie as a beautiful and breathtaking story. Thanks Tab!

I will mail it to RoryG tomorrow. I promise!

15/10: done!

Journal Entry 6 by RoryG from Palmdale, California USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2005
I got the book. It arrived some time last week, but because of my current living arrangement due to pumbing renovation I only got it in my hands today. I have another bookring before this, but I should be done with it soon.

Journal Entry 7 by RoryG from Palmdale, California USA on Thursday, January 19, 2006
Ok, I have to start with apologizing that I've kept this so long. I kind of lost the track of time and the bookrings I needed to read... Anyhow, I've finally read it. And I liked it a lot. I've actually seen the movie about this book few years back, but I definitely like the book better. Although I do remember liking the movie as well. I think this was a bit slow to start, but once I got caught in it, I couldn't really put it down. I really need to read the other Avalon books by the same author.

Well, I will send the book forward as soon as I get the next person's address.

Edit 27.1.2006: I finally got the book to the post office yesterday (26.1.). So the book is on its way to ritao.

Journal Entry 8 by ritao from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, January 30, 2006
I got "The Mists of Avalon" today, thank you RoryG and CT! I have couple of books before it but I'll try to get to it as soon as possible. It seems a bit heavy reading (= very thick book), so I can understand why it took the readers before me so long. But I'm sure the story will be so interesting that I'll forget all about the number of pages in the book.

4.7.2006
Can't believe that it actually took me this long to read this book! Well, I didn't have time to start reading it as soon as it came, but still...wow. I'm extremely sorry that I held it way overtime.
It took me quite a while at first to get interested in the book. I think it wasn't until book nr2 that it really started to get interesting. I don't think that The Mists of Avalon is a masterpiece but it's still quite enchanting in its own way. Somehow in the last few months I've gotten used to reading the book little by little and it became like some kind of mythical soap opera that I got hooked on. My knowledge of the Arthurian tales was very limited before I read this book so I quess it is kind of educational reading. Of course it tells the story from Avalon's point of view but I liked the feminist wibe.
Will send the book to Spain ASAP.

Journal Entry 9 by yugui from Zaragoza, Zaragoza Spain on Thursday, August 24, 2006
I received it a few days ago, but due to mi holydays i did not have the time to register it. Anyway, I´ve started reading it and it looks promissing.

Journal Entry 10 by yugui from Zaragoza, Zaragoza Spain on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
I´ve enjoyed reading the book. I have allways thougt that Morgaine was the villain of Arthurian tales, but seeing it from her point of view has been a nice surprise.

Journal Entry 11 by yugui from Zaragoza, Zaragoza Spain on Wednesday, September 27, 2006
The book is on its way to kert01.

Journal Entry 12 by kert01 on Wednesday, October 04, 2006
This has arrived safely here on the south coast of the UK.

I've just also had four books of the Darkover series turn up too, so I have a long reading list of MZB books... I will get onto it as soon as I can!

Journal Entry 13 by kert01 on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Wow, this is a bit of an epic! It certainly took a lot of reading. I enjoyed the different view on the Arthurian legend, and the female-centric viewpoint.

I will send it off to turquoisefloyd as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 14 by kert01 on Monday, December 10, 2007
Sending on to turquisefloyd.

Journal Entry 15 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2007
It arrived!! However in the meantime since I signed up for the ring, I've picked up my own copy so will be passing this onto the next player in the ring. After Christmas.