Miss Garnet's Angel

by Salley Vickers | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CrazyTabasco of Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 6/1/2005
Journal Entry 1 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 01, 2005
Book Description
After the death of her longtime friend and flatmate, retired British history teacher Julia Garnet does something completely out of character: She takes a six-month rental on a modest appartamento in Venice. An atheist, a Communist, and a virgin, Julia finds herself falling beneath the seductive spell of the city's intoxicating beauty and sensual religiosity. She befriends a young Italian boy and English twins who are restoring a fourteenth-century chapel. And she falls in love for the first time in her life with an art dealer named Carlo.
Juxtaposing Julia's journey of self-discovery with the apocryphal tale of Tobias and the Archangel Raphael, Miss Garnet's Angel tells a lyrical, incandescent story of love, loss, miracles, and redemption . . . and of one woman's transformation and epiphany. Already a bestseller in England, it is "novel-writing at its finest and most eloquent . . . splendid . . . the sort of book that effortlessly, like angels, or sunlight on Venice's rippling waterways, casts brightness and beauty into those private and most shadowed recesses of the human heart" (The Christian Science Monitor).
"Vickers has taken myth, religion, and secular humanism, and turned them into substantial life-affirming fiction." (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
"A refreshing, gentle story." (Anita Brookner)

Book details
Paperback: 342 pages; Publisher: HarperCollinsPublisher (2000); ISBN: 0006514219

Journal Entry 2 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005
I started an international BookRay with this book.

BookRay participants:
4. mariannedeliz (Chile)
5. Falmouth (Germany)
6. Annelis (Finland)
7. froggirlwendy (Finland)

Released 14 yrs ago (8/22/2005 UTC) at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

I'll send the book to nona35 at Monday, the 22. August 2005. Enjoy it...

CU... CT

Journal Entry 4 by nona35 from Syros, Cyclades Greece on Monday, September 26, 2005
I recieved it this morning.Right now I'm reading another ring and this is next.

Journal Entry 5 by nona35 from Syros, Cyclades Greece on Sunday, October 16, 2005
A gentle well-written story.I really liked the description of Venice.Thank you for sharing.I've already pmed mirp and I'm waiting for his-her address!

Journal Entry 6 by nona35 from Syros, Cyclades Greece on Monday, October 17, 2005
Left for Ireland this morning!Enjoy mirp and thank you CrazyTabasco for sharing!!!

Journal Entry 7 by rem_BSM-942247 on Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Received this book today. Thanks for the postcard nona35!

It took me a while to get into this book. I have to say I was surprised at the way the relationship between "the twins" was just glossed over.

I'll post this out as soon as I can.

Thanks for sharing this book with me!

Journal Entry 8 by rem_BSM-942247 on Thursday, December 08, 2005
posted yesterday 7/12/05. So sorry for the delay in posting it.